Corals from the Beach

codyja

I know someone who used to have a saltwater aquarium, she would go down to Port Aransas and get her own corals from the Jetty area. She would wade around and pick and pry corals off rock and put them in her aquarium back in Austin, at least this is what she told me. Does this really sound possible? I remember several years ago, I saw another lady scuba diving around the jetty, she would take large plastic bags down and scoop up little fish and take back to her aquarium shop in Corpus. Is there a possibility of contamination of my tank if I were to try this? Has anyone else tried this?

There is a thread on the "other" central Texas site about a group of them going to Port A on a "Collection Trip".

I don't know about contamination issues (but with several petro-chemical plants down there it could be an issue), but when I read the other thread I remember wondering about the legal issues, and even the ethical issues. As far as any ethical issues, I'm still flopping around in my mind on that one. I own corals that were collected, and although I do try to buy aqua-cultured where ever I can, I'm sure I will continue to buy corals that were collected.

So, I'm probably sounding like a hypocrite here, but there is something about going to Port A and collecting corals that just doesn't "feel" right. I can't put my finger on it, and maybe I'm just full of it, but it just gives me an uneasy feeling for some reason.

Stephen

Read up on the laws about collecting certain types of coral. In Florida you'll be thrown in jail and your boat will be taken for touching stony corals or live rock. Other corals and fish you need a saltwater fishing license and there are regulations as far as how much and what kinds can be taken. Again, that's Florida, but I imagine the rules apply here too.

In my opinion, buying aquacultured is the responsible way to go.

Collecting from the ocean is difficult.

I have read the laws for collecting in Texas. All you need is a saltwater fishing license. You can collect any fish except those on the gaming list ie: Tarpon, flounder, sea bass etc. As for corals it is a little weird. The law says you can collect anything that has less than a 1 inch root in the rock. So I am not sure exactly what that means. It took me a lot of searching on the Texas Wildlife website to find it and I didn't save the page otherwise I would post a link.

• 5 weeks later...

from talking to people from DFWMAS that went on that port A trip they found many cool fish and lots of macro. i didn't hear much about corals specifically but heard alot about peppermint shrimp. A LOT about pep's. i would like to go for some catch and release and maybe a shrimp or two. but like was said above the laws get funny depending on what you are collecting.

if they are the ones i think you are talking about i believe they are rock anemone's ill see if i can find something out about them.

Hello,  

This anemone hitchhiked its way into my tank over 4 years ago. It has not grown much in that time and has never moved from it's rock, except to retreat when threatened. It is about the size of a quarter, maybe a little larger.  

I don't see it as much of a threat since it has never split or harmed anything in my tank. I'm just curious if anyone knows what it is.  

Thanks,  

Eric  

and the reply

Looks like a rock / flower anemone.. saw a TON of these this weekend in Port Aransas. They _can_ reproduce and become a pest, but if you're not overrun with them after four years, suh-weeet!

hope that helps ill see if i can find more later