Lights, where to buy?

Civlor

I am in the process of upgrading my lights. I've seen a lot of discussion on what type of lights, but my question is, where is the best place to get new equipment? Also, if I'm going with MH's, what is the brand you trust? I have a 75 gal that I'd like to grow some easy corals in.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

What kind of corals are you wanting? If you want softies and LPS do t-5. If you think you want SPS then you need MH. I would say at least 2x 175w MH on a 75g tank. You should look at The Bulk Reef Supply group buy going on this week. They have great prices and I have never been disapointed with their products. I have not ordered lights from them though. Yuo can get on the group buy any time this week or there are several members combining orders to save on shipping. Check out the group buy thread.

+1 on the Bulk Reef supply order as well as the Marine Depot order. As muddy said softies and LPS are good with T5's. I'd add Power Compact as well. For SPS metal halide's are considered almost a must.

Short answer the type of corals you want will define the lights and circulation you will need. If you provide more information on your plans the experts on the board (not me by any measure yet) can help you drill down to the best choice from which you can then look for the best price / retailers.

+1 to Rjohn, in any category of there are good and fair deals for new lights (there are also obviously some bad deals both from quality and price). In my budget I've generally bought used and gotten some nice deals. The key to getting the best for your money is educating yourself as to both your needs as well as the technology / items available. Always keep bulbs in mind. A good deal on lights where you will need to buy or replace the bulbs before use may not be such a good deal.

As a reccomendation. Get your lights used. Cheap- low quality MH pendants when i was looking (2x250W) was around 400$. I got a great set of lights that have been working fantastically for over a month now for $250. The for sale forum almost always has lights for sale. Take your time to get a good deal. Don't be afraid to pass on a few lights until you find the right one in good condition. Always plan on buying new bulbs.

Speaking of bulbs, I really like the SPS brand. Dave (prof) from epic reef sells them some times or you can order them through hellolights.com.