Water temperature

alasg001

I replaced a fan to blow across the top of my tanks water surface and the temps have dropped a lot lower than I expected. I used to run pretty constant between 77-80 degrees before the change. Now the tank sits between 73-76 degrees. It is usually on the lower end for the temps and I am concerned that it is to cold. I dont run a heater yet so I am just wondering if I should for safety. I am just worried because I have had heaters malfunction in the past with other tanks. I am concerned with the winter months around the corner. I had an idea about adding another water pump to generats some heat to offset the cooler temps and provide more flow. Any helpful advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

my fan has a temp control on it. I set it on 76 and the fan turns on and off automatically. It cycles on and off during my atinic light cycle. It runs 95% of the time when all lights are on. my tank temp only changes from 77 to 78 from day to night. I picked up the fan from target for about $40. it has two small fans and is designed to fit in a window. each fan can run opposite directions but I have always set them to blow onto my water