?'s about Bulk Reef Supply products

PeeperKeeper

I usually use Kent's Turbo Calcium and Superbuffer DKH. I'm thinking of switching for two reasons. One is I'm just about to add some SPS to a formerly all softies and LPS tank (getting MH lighting finally) and the other is I'd like to take advantage of the bulk order being done with them here at ARC.

So who uses the BRS two part system? It's High Purity Anhydrous Calcium Chloride, High Purity Soda Ash (Sodium bicarbonate) and high purity magnesium sulfate and magnesium chloride that you mix with water in 3 separate containers. Looks like you mix the calcium and alkalinity products in separate gallon jugs and dose daily, then after you use them all up, you dose a 20 oz bottle of the magnesium mix.

So my questions are:

1. Have you had success with these products?

2. Is it more or less hassle than other ways of providing these nutrients (excluding calcium reactors)? In other words, do you prefer other products?

The other product of theirs I was looking at was the Reef Chili. Same questions.

Two part solutions are generaly a good way to go. They are more daily hassle than calcium reactors and more expensive over the long term but work great for medium to low calcium demanding systems. If you decide to go with a large (over 50G) mostly SPS tank you will want to go with a kalkwasser drip or a calc reactor. For mixed tanks not dominated by SPS or smaller SPS tanks the 2 part is a good affordable and viable solution. Remember that you will be dosing every day (as oppossed to refilling a kalkwasser/calc reactor every few weeks) so take your time into the cost equation.

For me, on my 24G i have been using a two part solution. On my 90 I plan on going with a calc reactor once I get the funds for it.

Hey peeps,

I just bought two of the 2 part kits a couple weeks ago. I have been using Bionic 2 part daily, BRS's product is just as good but a lot cheeper. Test your kh, ca,mag and ph as you dose for a few days to determine how much you need to maintain Kh( I keep my dKh at about 10) and your ph will remain stable at about 8.4. After about a week I quit testing daily and only test once every week or 2. You only add mag once a week. Buy the kit that raises ph( recipe 1). I have not used the reef chili. I think their rox 08 carbon is the best on the market if you need carbon. JMO

Salifert or Elos test kits? Does it matter or just pick the cheaper one?

Oh, and I also meant to ask about the Tunze salt mix. I had been using Tropic Marin and happy with it, but willing to change if it's a good mix.