Candy Cane frag placement?

kris_karlie

I just bought a Krypto Candy Cane frag. I placed it in the sand bed - but I have a hermit crab that keeps knocking it over nightly.

I'm tired of waking up to this. Apart from sending the hermit crab to an anger mangement class.... what should I do?

Can I glue the base of the frag to a live rock - and place it up higher? I'm not sure about the protocol of glueing corals.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Yes, you can place it on the live rock. In fact, my candy canes started growing a lot more when I moved them higher in my tank.

You can use gel super glue, underwater epoxy, and just wedge the base the coral in a hole in the live rock. I have used the last two options for two candy canes that I have.

Here is one of my candy cane frags in January that I mounted on the top of the live rock:

IMG_0600.JPG

And here is a recent picture (the one on the left was in the sand, and I moved up there in late January also):

IMG_2573.JPG

Ok - here is a stupid question.

If the live rock is huge and has zoas and other stuff on it - I can't take it out of the tank.

Do I put glue on the base of the candy cane, immerse in the water and attach it to the rock all under water?

I have gel super glue - or is there special 'reef' glue to use.

Thanks for the input!

Super glue gel works great. I usually head to the dollar store or big lots and you can pick up little tubes of it - 2 for $1. Each tube is perfect for a big frag to rock job like this. Put a bunch of superglue at the bottom of the frag. If you dip it in water it forms a "skin" almost immediately. You then have a little bit of time to get it positioned and stick it. Hold it in place for a minute or two and you are good. I usually like twisting it a bit when putting it in place. seems to give me a faster/stronger hold.

Super glue gel works great. I usually head to the dollar store or big lots and you can pick up little tubes of it - 2 for $1. Each tube is perfect for a big frag to rock job like this. Put a bunch of superglue at the bottom of the frag. If you dip it in water it forms a "skin" almost immediately. You then have a little bit of time to get it positioned and stick it. Hold it in place for a minute or two and you are good. I usually like twisting it a bit when putting it in place. seems to give me a faster/stronger hold.

Great description on how to use the gel super glue :)