placing LR in tank

Mitch

I was curious as to what most people do in regard to placing their LR in their tank:

1) directly on the bottom

2) on eggcrate

3) use pvc pipe stubs on end

4) <fill in the blank>

I was originally gonna do #2, but then just learned about #3.

I put mine on top of the sand and pushed it down to bury it in the sand. Personally, I don't care if the bottom of the tank gets scratched so I didn't bother putting anything underneath the LR.

I've read about lots of people using PVC to support the rock, but most of them pulled it out after a while as the pipe served as large crab/detritus traps as well as a good home for someone who got the kraken worm in their tank!

I went the acrylic rod route on vwmike's new 90G this weekend and I'm excited to see how it turns out as we don't have all the rock yet so we didn't take time to aquascape the tank fully.

I did a PVC structure. To avoid the nutrient sink I made the entire stucture a closed loop and have a maxi-1200 pumping water through it. The water exits through the holes I made to zip tie rock too. I am admitedly a bit nervouse about super huge polychaetes but it will at least make a good story if I get one.

My build is over in the DIY section if you are inerested.

here's where I read about #3... he's doing 5.5" DSB using 2" pvc standoffs:

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/member-tank-projects/412-amphibious-135-gal-reef.html

see post #17

my plan is to have a 3"+ DSB (is 120 lbs enough for a 90g?), and was worried that the eggcrate would leave small pockets of sand which wouldn't get shifted thru by the DSB critters. using the standoffs as described w/ holes above and below seem to facilitate movement.

as far as placing LR directly onto the bottom, i was worried about the pressure points.

I relieved the pressure point issue by putting the sand down first. Pushing the rock down into the sand compresses the sand under the LR and helps spread out the load. There might be some points where the LR touches the tank bottom, but i'm not worried about excess pressures as the tank can take a lot more than the pressure of rock sitting on it.

i put my rock directly on the bottom and then put sand around it.this is supposed to be a good way of doing it to keep and tunnels from being created and causing a collapse of rock work.after almost 1 year in this tank i have never had a rock shift(On the bottom).

I did the same as reefpug, i added the sand then pushed my rock down to the bottom, i have a pistol/goby pair and they dig like crazy to the point where i have very little sand under the rock anymore. but nothing has toppled over so all good.

How about some rare earth magnets repulsing each other (one set on the bottom of the rocks, one set under the tank glass bottom). That way you could have levitating rock. Of course, then you would have to worry about the sides of the tank.

I liked a propagation thing i saw in a book. Instead of suspending the live rock from strings suspend all of your corals from strings. Then your corals are free floating and can grow in all directions, thus doubling your grow rate. put all your live rock in the sump. I'm imagining elementry school science experiments with sugar rock candy.

I liked a propagation thing i saw in a book. Instead of suspending the live rock from strings suspend all of your corals from strings. Then your corals are free floating and can grow in all directions, thus doubling your grow rate. put all your live rock in the sump. I'm imagining elementry school science experiments with sugar rock candy.

Would they really grow more than on rocks? I would suspect that due to lack of light, you still would not get any growth on the side facing the bottom of the tank.

On the plus side, you would not have to worry about hermit crabs attacking corals.

"On the plus side, you would not have to worry about hermit crabs attacking corals."

i dont know about that, they mite crawl down the string i have acrobatic hermits they crawl up the darn seams on the tank, i even saw one riding a mexican turbo all the way to the top.