High Nitrates - replacing sandbed...?

reefman

I'm still having the high Nitrate issue with the corner tank. Since nothing else has seemed to work, except trying Vodka dosing which is kind of scary and only really treats the symptom, not the problem, even if it did work, unless someone has any other ideas (Please! I would love to hear of any alternatives from the one I'm about to propose)....I guess my only choice here is to assume the problem is the sand bed.

Please bear in mind, this tank will eventually be combined with my other tank into a 180 - 210g tank sometime next year, but since I don't know yet if that would be as early as January or as late as mid summer, I guess I need to start doing something now about the sandbed.

I was told by the owner of a LFS here that I could do the sandbed by suctioning off about an inch at a time in sections. He said I could suction off about an inch (he actually suggested doing about half at a time, but I doubt I would do that much) when I do a water change, wait about a week, then vacuum that section, wait a week or so, then repeat the process in the other section.

I would like your opinions on this as this whole sandbed thing really scares me. If I followed this procedure, I would probably do more like a third or a fourth of a section at a time.

Stephen

This is not an answer to your problem.

However if you are looking for that 210g tank....... Unfortunately a wonderful regular at MAAST is in serious need of extra income due to unforseen medical bills. He has a great set up for sale. Rnall.

http://www.maast.org/index.php?name=PNphpB...ewtopic&t=22750

I would do whatever I can to help with the move. My truck can haul a trailer.

Hi Mike.

Wow! My wife was just looking at Rnall's ad. Main problem is I already have a ton of live stock, and I have a custom made canopy and stand I bought from a guy off reef central shipping next week. If Rnall decides to part it out, I would definitely be there for the tank. Its so sad to hear he is having to drop out because of the financial problems. Its very nice of you to offer to help with the move, especially one from SA.

Stephen

made an edit to the first post. I won't be combining the two tanks next week, bust should have said next year...

"...this tank will eventually be combined with my other tank into a 180 - 210g tank sometime next year, but since I don't know yet if that would be as early as January or as late as mid summer, I guess I need to start doing something now about the sandbed. "

Stephen

If you're going to do it, I'd suck out all the sand with the rock and livestock in a rubbermaid container. Old sandbeds have way too much poisonous material in them for to comfortably suck the sandbed out slowly.

Gawd. So what's the only other options? try the Vodka dosing or move to the larger tank sooner?

BTW, are y'all going to be at the store this afternoon? Might was well get that quote on the larger tank. The custom made stand and canopy should ship from Florida next week. So if I move on the new tank sooner than later, I might was well know what I will be dealing with on the tank.

Stephen