Sump issue

Robb in Austin

Instead of contaminating my build thread I thought I'd make a post here.

My 30g glass sump, with acrylic baffles, leaks under two of the baffles. I tried adding more silicone in an attempt to fix the problem. No go.

So my dilemma is how to fix it. I scraped off the bottom seam on the offending baffles. Do I reseal or pull the acrylic and replace them with glass?

Looking for some help here peeps!

What are you prepping the glass with? It is best to use a strong cleaner to remove any oils from the glass. Some use vinegar. I generally use a diluted acid.

Acrylic and silicone generally do not make good mates. I understand that your current issue is getting the silicone to stick to the glass. But keep that in mind.

You could always try some JB weld type stuff.

How long are you giving the silicone to dry? 24 hours?

Silicone will not stick to acrylic but will hold it in place if you silicone on both sides. Home depot and Lowe's sell aquarium grade silicone, it is in a small tube around the glues I think. definitely let it cure for 24hrs. As long as it holds the baffles in place what difference does it make if they leek? Isn't there going to be water on both sides? I use glass baffles.

Edited by muddybluewater

Used GE Silicone 1. Waited 48-72hrs before the first try, ~16 the second.

Yes, sticking to the glass seems to be the issue. I didn't prep the glass really so that may be the issue. Thanks Mike!

My only concern with leaking is having 1 water level between fuge/skimmer/return which, to my mind, defeats the purpose of having different chambers.

I'll try again and see what happens.