Clown host recommendation

Jurgy

Well I've been through 2 anemones, one a seabae and the other a bubble tip. I'm trying to find a host for my clownfish but want something that will do well in me setup. I have a 10 gallon with 2 36watt power compacts. I'm thinking I need to revert back to a hammer or torch coral but thought I would get some feedback before I went forward. I appreciate all of your input.

Matt

My guess would be your lights. 'Nems like strong light. Mine are at the very top of my tank and I have 2x250W MH.

Some clowns will host frogspawn/hammer/torch, just depends on what they like...which you can never tell till you put them in the tank!

Watch out on the hammer/frogspawn. I've heard of several very successful pairings. In my case though my clowns loved my wall hammer to death.

Right now my clowns (a m/f pair even) are hosting in different parts of the aquarium. The female likes a green hairy mushroom. The male likes to hang in my Duncan. Both have been chilling there for a while with no harmful effects noted yet.

For the light you have I would look for a nice big mushroom. They are tough and can do fine in 2watts per gallon.

Some hairy mushrooms are fish eaters...

Yea, I have heard this. She has been hosting in this mushroom for a while (actually she seems to host both in it and the feather duster next to it.) I haven't seen any problems so far.

That being said I really don't like the clowns so much, they are really for my daughter. The male is a little hosting slut and has killed off or damaged several prize frags. He just goes around the tank hosting in anything he can wag his tail in. He seems to have settled on the duncan recently and since there doesn't seem to be any damage I am OK with this but it can still be very frustrating when I put a new frag in to see him eyeing it like a piece of meat.

I'm convinced that clowns are one of the stupidest fish available and I have some low IQ clowns. See Sig...

thanks for all your opinions.

I have a true perc and an ocellaris which both hosted a seabae anemone. They haven't gone near my duncan or xenia. I might pick up a hammer/torch tomorrow for the mean time. I'm thinking about getting a 70watt metal halide to retrofit as if I put a 175 on there it would probably boil the water. Once I have the new halide I'll go with the nem again.