can this really be the biggest piece of ??

Laura

OK...so some of you know I am going to Florida to snorkel in a couple of weeks...I go to WalMart and pick up a Vivitar Vivicam 8400 Underwater Camera....5 Megapixels...8x Digital Zoom...$100....it has a 30 return policy....I don't want this thing in my house 30 more minutes....there is not ONE photo that I take in my tanks or even OUTSIDE the front glass that is in focus....if I'm getting that here, what the heck will happen in the ocean? What would you get for one of those Kodak $9.99 Waterproof Specials?? Do I need to spend more $$$ to get anything decent?angry.gif

I thought maybe it only focused underwater but the propogranda says you can use at the beach. It might be defective. Take it back and have them test a new one. I tried to find info on this camera but it most be too new.

Dave-

We bought the disposable Kodaks for our barrier reef trip. They suck and you won't be happy with the quality. You don't necessarily need to buy one though. In Australia we were able to rent a very nice underwater cam for $60 ($40 first day, $20 second) with a 2gb card. They burned a dvd with all the photos when we turned it in.

Since you have a few days, google "underwater camera rental" +Florida and you should turn up tons. This will get you a top of the line cam without the full cost, and no film developing. With digital it is soooo nice to be able to review your pics at lunch to see what turned out, what didn't, and then go retake the ones you want.

Also, with the nicer cames you can record video. We did this and in the picture shows my wife made of our trip the show occasionally cuts to video, I love the effect.