What type of Clown fish?

apmark

What type of clowns do y'all recommend? When I'm buying them(2) should I choose larger more established ones or smaller ones? I know tank raised are better for the oceans. I have a bubble tip anemone that I hope they will use as a host. Also, is it okay to add them as my first fish or do they become too territorial if they are the first to take a swim? dontknow.gif

Disclaimer: I don't own clowns, I just do a lot of reading.

From what I understand, clowns are territorial and can be aggressive. How much varies from one species to another. Many people suggest adding the more aggressive/territorial fish last.

Also, I believe all clowns have a similar sexual cycle. They start out neuter. As some point (maybe when they are about 1-1.5 inches?), they all become male. If there are no females present, the biggest baddest fish will become female (never to be male again... "terminal female phase"). Females that are forced together will generally fight until there is only one.

So if you're going to invite clowns into your home, most people suggest getting a mated pair or getting 2 small ones. It's possible to introduce a male (or pre-male) into a female's tank, but sometimes you need to take precautions to ensure that she doesn't do serious damage before she decides she likes him.

Again, I don't have any clowns living with me, so this is all just hearsay. FWIW.

ej

when I started the first tank, these were some of the very first fish we tried. We ended up losing several False Percula's, due to stress or illness. The longest we were able to keep a FP was about a month and a half. We then bought two Clarkii's, because they are known as being very "hardy". Well, they were, perhaps too much so. One got much larger than the other, and became the dominant female. She was absolutely beautiful, but got so bad my daughter and I ambushed her one night with the lights off when she went to her Anemone, and took her back to the store to trade her in. That left the smaller of the two, who I see maybe having to do the same thing with in the future. I have 3 Anemone's in the tank (one split), and it thinks it owns all three.

If I had it to do over again, I would pay a little more and try to get a pair of tank raised True Percula's. Clarkii's get mean, and Maroon's get even worse. I'm not even sure I would get another clown (I know, we al have to go through our Nemo phase). If I had a pretty bubble tip (and would do this now except I'm afraid "Gizmo" would kill it), I would get an anemone Crab for the BTA. A lot less trouble in the long run, and leaves a slot open on the tank for something else, since we can only have a finite number of fish in a tank.

Stephen

Mark,

I've been very happy with my false Percs. I had five originally. One of them moved to a nano tank and unfortunately one didn't make it through the move to the new house. dontknow.gif

The three that are left don't leave the carpet anemone and have their own harem. They've never had any problems with the other tank mates or caused any problems.

They did get ick when I first had them, but I hear that's not too uncommon with this fish when they're stressed. I just gave them a freshwater dip and it solved itself.

I'm also jumping with joy as they've finally spawned for the first time. They're even letting the littlest clownfish stay in the anemone. blob7.gif

If you want to come by since you're in the neighborhood, just let me know and you can see if you like their behavior.

Joe

Joe it sounds like your tank move has been very successful.

I have 2 maroons. I can say that if you get maroons, get them with the yellow stripe. Mine have been very good to me. They host to any anemone introduced. My only problem was that they were so excited about anemones that they killed a few. They would remove every tiny spec of anything that touched the anemone, including food. They'd beat away at it all day long until it would shrivel up and seek refuge.

Thanks for the advise everyone and for offering for me to come and see yours Joe. If I can find 5 mins that aren't booked in the next few weeks I'd like to pop by and see how your whole tank is looking. I decided to take the plunge and got two percula's on Sat. it took about a day and a half and they found the bubble tip and now are hanging out with it most of the time. i've got my fingers crossed. I plan to get maybe a Tang fairly soon and put it into the isolation tank so I can move it to the reef before the clowns start to feel like they own the place.

I bought a small pair of tank raised false percs. Within a few weeks one started to grow rapidly and became the female. They did very well in my 30g hosting in a bubble tip. I never had any problems with them and other fish or any disease.