sps bleaching

mhart032

I need a little help since i have moved to my 90g tank all my sps coral is bleaching. all my levels are good, im feeding reef roids, all my zoas and softies are doing well but the sps are all bleeching im useing pretty close to the same light just alittle more due to the bigger tank. insted of the 2 50/50 pc lights im useing 4 t-5s my light per gallon is the same im still useing 250w MH with phoenix bulbs..since they started bleaching i have them on a frag rack up twords the top of the tank with a powerhea directed right at them for good flow

my guess would be moving them towards the top of the tank would be the wrong thing to do. I would reduce how long you're leaving the lights on and move them down to the bottom, slowing acclimating them higher in the tank or increasing your light period, but not both.

it was directly on them but the frag tray was at the front and the PH was all the way in the back. and i had it setup on the wavemaster so it wasnt a constant blow..

good...that's good way to have it depending on how strong the PH is.

Going from P.C. light to T5 light is your problem. I have a problem bleaching out sps that come out of tanks with 400W HQI set ups. Move all the sps to the sand bed and wait a few weeks. If they start to look better move them up the aqua scape slowly. In a month or two your sps should be back to normal.

• 2 weeks later...

you should try using a koralia instead of a maxi jet, koralias and similar pumps seem to offer a lot more turbulent flow than a maxi does, which is what sps seem to thrive in. where as a maxi jet is more of a straight forward blast that can keep all the polyps from completly opening. that's just how i feel about those pumps when keeping sps