return pump

don duncan

Depends on how much flow you want through the sump. Iwaki, PanWorld, Supreme....all good pumps. I don't like running Mag drives or Ehiems external even though they are rated for it.

Sequence. The dart is probably to large for your sump set up to be efficient. I believe you already own a large pump for flow via a closed loop, so you are still looking for something in the 500-800GPH range right so that the water has contact time with skimmer, fuge, etc.. The smaller Sequence pumps are capable of being throttled back with a ball valve without an bad effects on the pump wearing out prematurely. Also the pumps slow down when throttled back and use less electricity. Many other brands will burn up or can actually consume more electricity when throttled back.

dave, i was planning on using the eheim externally, why don't you like them in this configuration? the Iwaki MD55RLT was also recommended to me (90g). sorry for hijacking your thread don! =)

I believe it's because the face of them comes off so easily. They are not a sealed unit being driven by a separate pump like your Iwaki, Pan World, Sequence type pumps. If they get bumped it is possible to loosen the face and cause a drip to form unnoticed.

Just put it in the sump. The Eheim 1262 is one of the best pumps ever made. Hands down. I own 5 of them and would never consider selling even one.

Water turnover is always debated. If you have 5+ times turnover in the tank you are greatly cutting down reaction time in your sump. Slow flow in your sump (slower in a refuguim) is a good thing. If you are depending on your return pump to provide flow in the main tank you have to give up the reaction time to move enough water. Hence the existence of closed loops, tunze, koralia, etc.

Always research the pump to see if it is pressure rated. You don't want to try to throttle down powerheads or pumps like the mags.

And to add to what Dave said about return pumps, you don't want to much flow through your sump as micro bubbles can easily race through bubble traps clouding your water. Also the noise of water rushing through your sump can be very irritating. Your sump should have a peaceful existence and your fuge should be almost Zen like.

The ehiem and mag are designed to allow external usage. I just don't trust the flimsy connections. Like Mike said, the plastic faces can break and create slow leaks. Iwaki/Supreme/etc. use PVC hard fittings and have feet to screw them down. Just a little peace of mind for me.

Water turnover is always debated. If you have 5+ times turnover in the tank you are greatly cutting down reaction time in your sump. Slow flow in your sump (slower in a refuguim) is a good thing. If you are depending on your return pump to provide flow in the main tank you have to give up the reaction time to move enough water. Hence the existence of closed loops, tunze, koralia, etc.

Always research the pump to see if it is pressure rated. You don't want to try to throttle down powerheads or pumps like the mags.

Prof, do you make housecalls? I need someone to tell me what's wrong with my setup. Well, I know what's wrong with it. It wa setup by someone who didn't know what they were doing - me. What I really need to know is how to fix it.

rejacking my thread.

I have a full size wave box, and 2 korilla 4s and another pump that is in the back of the rock to blow foward.

So I don't think motion is an issue.

How many gph pump would you recommend.

What brand is quietest.

I don't like the idea of an external ehiem pump either. Great pump, just dont trust it externally.

rejacking my thread.

I have a full size wave box, and 2 korilla 4s and another pump that is in the back of the rock to blow foward.

So I don't think motion is an issue.

How many gph pump would you recommend.

What brand is quietest.

I don't like the idea of an external ehiem pump either. Great pump, just dont trust it externally.

so throw it in your sump. Eheim is my #1 pick. I have a mag 9.5 that I'd let go if you wanted it.