Advice on retro-fitting lights, please

reefman

I had mentioned in a previous post that I might be gutting my Outer Orbit light fixture to mount the bulbs and ballast into a canopy I want to start using.

I disassembled a good portion of the fixture yesterday, just to see if I thought this was feasible, and it looks like it is. I have two questions I'm trying to work through before actually doing it.

Do I really need a glass plate to cover the bulb and inside of the reflector of the HQI's and dual compacts? The height of the canopy on the inside from top of tank to inside of canopy is 9 inches. If I do, does anyone have any ideas on how to mount the glass or plastic diffusers?

The fixture also has 6 moon lights that are mounted directly in the roof of the fixture housing. Will re-mounting those along the inside edge work, or do I need to figure out a way to hang/mount those from the top of the canopy ceiling. If so, any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any ideas and opinions.

Stephen

if the metal halide bulb is double ended (DE) - i am assuming it is because you said HQI - then you have to have the glass shield in place. SE bulbs are made of a thicker glass, so they shield the corals from too much UV by themselves, but DE bulbs are made of thinner glass and must be used with a glass shield to prevent UV damage to fish and corals. you do not have to use a glass shield with the PC bulbs.

Thanks Ace.  Yes, they are double ended.  Looks like I will be heading to Lowe's today to try to find something to mount the glass shields with.

Stephen

Bad idea.

The glass MUST be tempered. The heat will cause the glass to stretch and warp. We all know glass can't really stretch so your glass will shatter into the tank.

I paid $52 for 2 replacement pieces 12x6 for my tank from Binswanger. I had 1/4" plate that I had tried. Did not work.

I am glad to hear you went for it. You should post pictures when you are finished. I mounted the moonlights directly to the top of our canopy. It worked great. I see no reason to hang them unless you really want to. Our unshielded PC lights collect salt like crazy and the reflectors have tiny rust spots. If you are covering the HQI then you might as well cover the PC. IMO.