Coroaline help!

Stephen

Let me start of my saying the LR that is in my tank is from an established tank of two years, my tank however, is only 4 weeks old. The problem I am having is my coroaline is turning white.. It appears to me that it is dying. I've heard that I need to dose magnesium. So I went to the LFS and they told me I needed calcium. I bought a calcium test kit and a calc supplement. When I tested my water my calc read 460 ppm. So i dont need calcium!

What should I do?

I don't have a mag test kit but my other params are ph 8.0 nitrate, nitrite and ammonia are 0 and salinity 1.025

Mg helps, plus my experience with coraline is if it hits air for even 30 seconds, it turns white. The back wall of my tank is covered in it and when I do a water change, and subject some of the coraline to air, it turns white in the days after I fill my tank back up.

So it might be dying from you transporting the rock or putting it in your tank.

Just to add to this. I recently has a rock that I had to do a FW dip on a few weeks back. Most of the coraline on that rock turned white and then re-colonized after a couple of weeks. Then again, I have a stupid amount of coraline in my tank, purple/red and geen but mostly red. What i usually do with a new piece of rock is take shavings off of my glass or existing rock. Powder it up with a razor blade (all in water) then drop it in the flow of a powerhead. It usually colors up in a couple of weeks.

Who ever knew my sordid past would help with reefing.

The rock was out of water when I transferred it into my tank.. the algae didn't start dying away till about a week ago though. I think i'll just buy a mag test kit and go from there. thanks guys