Bristle tooth tangs

Robb in Austin

Howdy all! Gabriel's comments in the swimming fish thread piqued my interest regarding these fish.

I've always liked the Kole tang and would like to get one when I setup my 75. I've seen conflicting information on whether they eat algae or not. Opinions?

Everyone I've seen has. Everyone I had (1)...didn't.

My lawnmower blenny didn't eat algae either...maybe its just my tank.

They are pretty. Just make sure they have plenty of color before you buy. They should be dark grey/brown. If his colors are fading, I'd stay away.

My lawnmower isn't touching it either. The giant turbos I got looked at it, then died. The urchin I got from James(seahorsej)is eating it but taking more coralline off than anything(I knew that was a risk). The sea hares I tried all died(still owe Cool Breeze $15 for his).

My phos reactor is knocking it out though. :)

when i had my kole tang i could see what looked like snail tracks constantly on the back glass.it turned out it was lip prints where he was eating the algae from the glass.he was awesome.one of my favorite fish.i ended up with some sort of sickness that got 2 or 3 other fish then him.i havent bothered to get another one for some reason.not sure why.we called him bruiser

when i had my kole tang i could see what looked like snail tracks constantly on the back glass.it turned out it was lip prints where he was eating the algae from the glass.

This is what my Scopas Tang and Flame Angel do. The back wall of my tank is green, but no more algae on my rocks. I supplement with dried algae, which is loves.