new 1gal set up

poison-dart-fart

Hi all, i started my 1 gal Thursday. well i got my 1lb live rock, 1.3lb live sand, 1gal saltwater, 1gal ro water all for 10 bucks. my live rock had 1 blue leg crab and 1 crab. it was cool getting hitch hikers. i posted pics on another site of the crab for id and some say its a bad crab some say leave it in. so im going to leave him in there till the tanks cycles or if he eats my blue leg crab. but what would you all do??? this is my first tank so i really insure what to do. but here are a few pics of my tank and of the crab.

post-945-1245562286888_thumb.jpg

post-945-12455623988371_thumb.jpg

post-945-12455624556155_thumb.jpg

Edited by poison-dart-fart

Id get him the heck out of their, crabs can be bad news. i havent seen a hitchhiker crab that was good for the tank ecpt for the hermits and suff. most will kill snails and eat everything they can get their claws on. dont know if they snack on hermits. he would be good for a sump..

my .02

Matt

What about emerald crabs, porcelain crabs, decorator crabs, arrow crabs, or sally light foot crabs?

Somebody is way to quick to dismiss your crab. It kind of looks like a strawberry emerald and if it is you really scored big. I have since replaced all of my hermits with emerald crabs, yep 50 of them. They do a much better job of picking at the rock for food and algae than any hermit I had, plus they don't eat any of my snails nor do they fight each other.

See if you can't pull the crab away from the rock and take a picture on a neutral background such as a white dinner plate.

would this throw off my cycle and what type of meaty food?

If the glass with shrimp is in there for just a short time (say overnight), you shouldn't have any problems.

And something like thawed krill would work as bait.

Well its not like this is a large tank packed wall to wall with corals and you will never be able to catch it again. I think it is a neat crab. I'd say after your tank cycles test it with a small inexpensive frag. Great photos by the way.

i found out its a bad crab :( a Xanthid crab. i think hes digging and digging in my LR. that is why i keep seeing pieces of rock out side of the cave. if i pull him out would he be fine in the filter chamber? i dont know if that would stress him out enough and kill him. i dont want to cause him any harm. would some one be willing to trade for a blue leg crab?

Edited by poison-dart-fart

He would be good in someone's refugium. i ordered some blue legs on the last reefcleaners order ill give ya 1 if you want. i also bought 3 turbo snails yesterday to help me with my diatoms issue their doing a great job and wont need all 3 in a few days. ill give ya 1 of those too.