Best 30 gal nano tank

Eckreef

I am looking for opinions/experience on the best AIO nano tank. I am looking for something in the 30 gallon range and this will be in a bedroom so it needs to be quiet. I am planning on a mixed reef with a few fish.

So far I have been looking at a Solana 34g cube, JBJ nanocube 28g, and oceanic biocube 29g.

Opinions or another that is better?

Thanks in advance,

John

I've got a 24g JBJ nano it works great and is pretty quiet. Not as nice looking Solana but not as expensive either. You can also find more used JBJs (seen from $150 and up) saving yourself a lot of $$ over the Solana.

I like the RedSea Max.

+1 on the Red Sea Max setup based on positive things I've heard/read. Of course, I personally think you should avoid the AIO systems. I think they're all a little too expensive and limited for what you get.

do the solana or elos systems have lids? i like the fact that the RSM, BC and JBJ systems all have hoods which keep humidity down and also keep evaprotive losses to a minimun. when i took the hood off of mine i had to add an ATO just to keep up with evap! wacko.gif but not only that, if i forget to leave my AC on while im at work it makes the living room mildly humid by the end of the day.

the problem with the systems that have the hoods is that you cant really add any good high quality lighting to them without having to take the hoods off.

in any case im really happy with my bio cube, the appearance isnt "as good as it gets" in the world of top notch fish tank design, but its performance and whats on the inside that counts! :lol:

Thanks to all for the info.

I like the Finnex and CADlights systems. Not sure i understand why the Elos is first as some posters suggested.

I am not very familiar with refugiums. Is if better to have the refugium in the back of the tank (like the finnex or CADlights 39g signature) or have it as part of the sump (CADlights 39g pro series)?

I would assume that some of the healthy fuge organisms that are beneficial for the tank would get chewed up on their return through the pump whereas this would not be an issue if the fuge passively returned from the back of the tank.

John

I'm still fairly new to this but for my 2c. I got a AIO JBJ 24 for my first tank. Overall I appreciate the ease that it let me get into the hobby. However I find myself very quickly outgrowing it for a few reasons and I think it should be taken into account with any nano.

1. Lighting options. I have ended up throwing out the hood and upgraded to a coralife PC light. Now i am looking around for a MH pendant and wish I had just started out with that. Even LPS corals have difficulties with the default lights on the JBJ and even with the coralife upgrade and no lid I can keep SPS alive but have not been able to grow it out. Default lights on most of them without going to a MH pretty much limits you to softies and zoa/palys. Not that this is really a bad thing as such but you mentioned a mixed reef. Plan on picking up a MH pendant and running it without the lid (I think this is default for the solano.)

2. Your filtration options are really limited. I have been going through heck and back trying to expand my filtration. The non standardness of the back sump makes a lot of options out of the question without a bunch of DIY know-how (berlin style socks for instance).

3. Flow from sump area - another frustration has been in increasing flow through the filter system. Right now my filter is using a maxijet 1200 and the flow through with poly filters is creating a backlog of water and it just does not balance out right with the increaced flow.

4. Skimming - quite frankly, the options for skimming a nano suck eggs. Even if you are willing to put the cash out for a higher end skimmer (as much as a full sized one) you lose one of your three sump compartments and right now mine are chock a block filled up.

So with all of this, if I knew what I know now when i got into the saltwater side of the hobby I really would have preffered a 55g drilled. With stand and a baffled sump it costs about as much as one of the nano packages and it would have given me many more options. Personally i plan on upgrading to a 100 or so in the near future and change my nano to a no fish softies/zoa tank. At that point the filtration will be fine and the lights more than adequate.

Again, just my 2c. I've seen some fantastic nanos and I love the smaller tanks when done right. The display tank at RCA is my dream for my nano. And i even love my little nano and will keep it until it leaks. Just don't think it should really be seen as a money saver or easier than a larger tank.