SICK Blonde Nasso Tang

dapettit

Our nasso is acting very strange. He hasn't eaten in several days. We tried feeding him Nori and a mix of food that everyone else is eating. He usually is a PIG! Todfay he went and hide in a cave when feeding. He usually swims all over the tank but now just swims a little the just sits in on place. He's still good and fat.

Is this normal behavior? We are really concerned about his well being!

Dave & Robin

This is not normal.

This is exactly how ours acted in the days (week or 2 I think) before we lost him.

If it's the same thing - the next stage is lethargy (swimming like he can't handle the currents, or loses strength).

I almost thought he was constipated because he looked a little bloated in the belly near the end.

Note: he would "try" to eat.. but not heartily -- almost as if he was "always full".

I do not know what this is, I do know it has happened to a lot of Naso's after being in captivity a long time.

Perhaps it is some stomach parasite or something. - One of the guys from Kingfish was talking about this

very thing at the meeting we had back at the Dell Childrens Hospital.

Do you remember?

I'm glad you guys post the info. I didn't get much sleep last night as this is our most favorite fish. I may have to do the epsom salt dip. This is supposed to help with the contipation, if that is the problem. Robin said he is acting like the Powder Blue did before we lost it.

Can we borrow your fish catcher?

Thanks for the support,

Dave & Robin

Sure...we'll bring it over.....what time should we be there. Robert's been up since 7:30 and I just about to get coffee. We thought maybe we should be there as early as possible. Does 10:30 or 11:00 be too early for you guys.

any news?

We try to assist in capturing and brought in the fish trap.

He/she is still alive .......unable to catch him. It'll be hard to capture he's not showing interest in the food that's been placed inside the trap......there's got to be another way to coerce him into the trap without messing the aquascape. Maybe today will be day he can get treatment. Good Luck guys.

Last night I was able to get him to come across the tank but he went into the cave just in front of the fish trap. It may take a couple of days for him to get used to it. Other fish are swimming in and out of the cave so we are hoping it will get his curiosity up.

Update:

He has started to eat. He isn't as aggresive as before but we have found hin eating a little Nori and pikcing at the rocks. He still dosn't eat when we feed the tank but will eat pellet food when we feed. He is still not 100% but we are hoping for the best. . .

Dave-

UPDATE:

Well it's been a week since the tang stopped eating.

We noticed Wednesday he was nibbling at the rocks and eating the cast off from the nori. We usually release the last little bit and watch the free for all. He took it right out of the mouth of the yellow tang (he usually get this piece).

Last night I fed them their homemade food but added a cube of mysis. Man he was eating like a pig racing all over the tank.

This morning he followed me as I attached another piece of nori to the tank. He was the first one to attack it. He seems to be getting back to normal but not completely.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions,

Dave & Robin