Acan Location

ysanford

We were able to get our hands on a few nice mini acan colonies and they are doing very well in our tank. Another members posting raised the question - where are they supposed to be in your tank? I have ours up higher with good flow and a good amount of light but the other member had theirs on the sandbed and it apeared to be doing just fine. So, where does everyone have their acans at and have you tried different spots in your tank? If so, where there any dramatic differences in growth time or size of the polyp?

Here are a couple pics of our acans.

We got this one from River City last week:

post-780-1244836124_thumb.jpg

We got this one from Reef Kingdom

post-780-1244836191_thumb.jpg

Found this one on eBay and it was the first acan piece that we have had. It has grown from about 5 heads to well over 15.

post-780-1244836305_thumb.jpg

We got this one from Princer7 last week. It looks even better in person!

post-780-1244836421_thumb.jpg

Following along, as I am getting my first acans next week (one of them from azcummins :) ).

I had planned on putting them on the sand bed.

What type/wattage of lights do you have over the tank? I would assume that would make a difference on location (I have 2 150w MH over my 75g).

Oh yeah and when it comes to placment of the acan they retain colors better under low light. If you can shade them that's even better. I've got mine in the sand bed and slightly shaded and they do great. Like all other corals they will look their best under 20K ish lighting.

Oh yeah and when it comes to placement of the acan they retain colors better under low light. If you can shade them that's even better. I've got mine in the sand bed and slightly shaded and they do great. Like all other corals they will look their best under 20K ish lighting.

Oo.. I like to hear this, as I have a perfect spot in my tank that has a little bit of shade.

To add to the Stanfords questions, do different acan frags fight with each other? Or are they like rics and frogspawn where you they can be sitting near by?

I'd say as long as the sweepers are not touching each other when fully extended they should be okay. But then again I've seen quite a few pictures when the colonies right up next to each other and they look fine.

Well, cr*p. One of them is already attached to the rock. Anyone know how to take it off with out hurting it too much? Now, I'll have to figure out a place on my sand bed, as all of my zoas are on my sand bed. A 55 gallon doesn't allow for a lot of room on the sand bed.

As for lighting, we have two 175 watt 12k's. With our actinics, we are right at around 7 watts per gallon.