New aqurarium (150g?)

mFrame

A few years ago I started building a stand for a larger aquarium, originally intended to be a 75g (48Wx18Dx21T). I'm loving my 29 but just want more real estate. Given that the stand is about 80% complete, I'm thinking I would rather put a tank >100g. Can anyone tell me what tanks would fit the stand's footprint? Stand top measures 48.5x18.5. I was hoping for maybe a 125 or 150g.

I guess the issue at that point becomes it being a taller aquarium, so I'll need better lights to penetrate to that depth?

Just found a site and it looks like my options are a 90 long (48x18x25) or a 115 (48x18x31). Wow, almost 3 feet deep? Will T5's work on that or does that push me into MH territory?

I think T5 will work but you won't be able to keep anything on the sand bed.

That said, does the height really buy you anything over the 75? For me, the answer is no. I prefer longer and wider; give the fishies more room to swim. You could make it wider and go the 120 route which are 4x2x2.

I had a 90 gallon and its a good size tank. Im not sure how much time and money you have in your stand, but I would rethink the 18'' wide tank. There isnt much room for aquascaping. I think the best 4' tank is a 120 unless there is a custom size option.

Dustin

Well, that's the catch really. Framing and the top of the stand are complete. All the pieces of the skin were cut and dimensioned from cherry wood 3 years ago, just never assembled, and cherry isn't cheap. I can increase the depth but not the width as the sides are just cherry veneer plywood. And you're right, that extra 6" depth would help a lot.

Looks like they have a 95g 48x24x17, a 120g 48x24x25 for $292 and $300 respectively. which would both fit given that extra 6".

Of course I could always finish it as/is and sell it but then I'd have to start over on a new one. :) The 6 stand legs are 2x2 oak, so probably not the best idea to double the weight by putting more than a 75g on it.

I used to have a either a 110G or a 120G, don't remember which, that was those dimensions. Great tank except for the fact that I nearly had to crawl into it to reach the bottom. I loved the look, but I think I would stick with a 90G if you need those measurements

I have a 90 bowfront and it is 29 tall t5 barely did the trick , so went from 6 36" t5s to 2 48 " t5s, 2 250 w mh and 2 110 w vho. my personal opinion is if you are going that tall (31") you will need more than t5s if you are doing sps. If you are really just wanting a bigger tank for sps and fish depending on howmuch you have in the stand maybe just bite the bullet and go bigger... Start fresh. look at the 150 display at aquatech its the perfect tank. I'm just saying this because I would hate to get done with a project like that and not be completely happy with the outcome.

Very good points. My guess is that I will only get two more tanks in my house (not a guess really, it's what the wife told me). We'll keep the 29g in the living room, probably due a 15-30g nano-cube in the bedroom, and then this one which will be my big "show" tank. 75g used to look so large, but now I'm really thinking a 90-150 is the way to go. I don't want to be stuck wanting to upgrade again in a year, but I don't want something so large that the work takes the fun out of the hobby.

How much more work is a tank >100g vs a 75? I don't currently have RO/DI, so assume that water changes and filling will be a pain if i have to use water jugs.

RODI is a definite need.

They say a bigger tank is less work due to more stability. Obviously, water changes would involve a bit more. I think anything you can do to automate(controller, ATO, Ca reactor if going heavy SPS) would make life much easier for you.