North Padre Island

mFrame

My family is headed to North Padre Island at the end of the month. Is there anything worth collecting for reef tanks at the beach? On MAAST I've read that you need a fishing license and that people get peppermint shrimp. I think that is at a different location, but was curious of anything else you know of. I also assume collection would be on the day we leave so that critters have a chance to survive the drive?

My family is headed to North Padre Island at the end of the month. Is there anything worth collecting for reef tanks at the beach? On MAAST I've read that you need a fishing license and that people get peppermint shrimp. I think that is at a different location, but was curious of anything else you know of. I also assume collection would be on the day we leave so that critters have a chance to survive the drive?

i was out there about 3-4 months ago and we caught a lot of different things such as cleaner clams/mangrove seeds/ different snails

i tried for the peppermint shrimp but failed.... i must have fallen 3 times or so and i gave up but that's when i found all of the snails

Can't comment on the collecting part...

But over the Memorial Day weekend we were in Port A (Mustang Island), and one of the days tons of sea weed was washing up on the shore. We were out shaking it into a bucket and found tons of stuff. Mostly small crabs and shrimps, and lots of greenish nudibranchs.

But my sister-in-law found what I think was an anglerfish. I have video of it at home, just need to get it up (my pictures of it didn't come out). We released it back into the gulf. I was also told sometimes seahorses are found in the sea weed.

The sad part was all of this was washing onto shore, thus everything was mot likely eaten by the throngs of birds.