Upgrading the Wavemaking

renman303

Hey Folks,

Just wondering what you recommend for upgrading my wave making on my 55 gal. I am one day going to go to at least a 120 gal but not for the next year or so...

Here is what I have:

Rio 2100 @ 695gph from the sump

MaxiJet Model 600 (160 gph)

MaxiJet Model 1200 (295 gph)

Total Water Movement: 1150gph

I was thinking of replacing the Rio 2100 from the sump with a Mag Drive 1800 either this MaxiJet Wavemaker setup:

Model 1200

(885 gph - 295 gph x 3) $89.99

Mag Drive 1800 @1800 gph $129.99

Total Cost:$220

Total Flow:2685gph

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...1&N=2004+113782

OR

adding two SEIO pumps for wave action, one on each side of the tank;

M620 $34.99 @620gph each, with the same Natural Wave Timer at $34.99. Plus the Mag Drive from the sump.

Total Cost:$235

Total Flow:3040

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...4&N=2004+113040

Thanks for your replies...

Dave "renman303"

Dave,

The first thing I would change is your return pump. Ideally, you want 3-4 times the total tank volume to go through your sump an hour. In the case of your 55, this would be 200-300 gallons per hour. The Mag 18 does 1800 gallons per hour and is WAY too big. If you're thinking of a future upgrade I'd go with the Mag 7 and turn it down with a ball valve. I'd highly suggest looking into the Aquamedic Oceanrunner 2700. It does around 700 gph, and is an extremely reliable and affordable pump.

Onto the second part, in tank flow, I'd recommend what I've used before. Maxi-jet 1200's on Hydor "Flo's". Inexpensive and puts out some very random current. If you're looking for something that puts out more flow per powerhead, look into the Tunze Nano Streams that just came out. They are some really incredible little pumps.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask me more questions.

John

John,

Thanks for the input. I've heard horror stories about the Rio's so I'm "86'ing" mine even though it's right at the 700gph output. I do have Hydro-Flo balls on my Maxi 600 and Maxi 1200. I like the random output but they seem to restrict the output too much???? I just put the wide dispersal thing back on each of them and aimed them from back glass to the front glass and slightly down to stir up the sandbed. I'll look into those Tunze. I was impressed with the fuction of the SEIO as well as they dispersed water at 120 degrees across.

Best Regards,

Dave "renman303"

www.nonnascucina.net

I've been very happy with my Wave2K. Makes a true back and forth wave, motor sits outside the tank so no heat added. Might be too strong for a 55 gal, but I think he makes a smaller unit than the one I have on my 90 gal tank.

Stephen

I've been very happy with my Wave2K.  Makes a true back and forth wave, motor sits outside the tank so no heat added.  Might be too strong for a 55 gal, but I think he makes a smaller unit than the one I have on my 90 gal tank.

Stephen

I think in an old thread I noticed you mentioned you had one. I think I asked you then to describe the W2K in more detail. I've been wanting one for a year now but have held back because I haven't seen any info on them. I was going to get a Tunze wavebox at the end of the year. I might prefer this.

That is why I thought the SEIO was a great deal. Inexpensive, wide disperal and hook it to a wavemaker timer and it's done. The flow on these is incredible as well!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...4&N=2004+113040

Flow Rate

(gal/hr) Cost Dimensions

M620 620 $34.99 2.17" x 2.6" x 5.5" high

M820 820 $44.99 2.38" x 2.88" x 6" high

M1100 1,100 $57.99 2.56" x 3.23" x 6.5" high

M1500 1,500 $61.99 2.8" x 3.25" x 7.3" high

M2600 2,600 $79.99 3.2" x 4.13" x 8.3" high

Dave "renman303"

www.nonnascucina.net

look at the 6045 toward the bottom of the page

http://www.myreefcreations.com/tunze.htm

two of these might be really nice on a 55g.

i cant tell you how much i like the 6080 on my 55 though, and even though it is only one powerhead it creates currents in all directions. you may come check it out is you are interested. the flow is really unlike any other powerheads.

These Tunze systems appear to be 230v? Are you using a step-down transformer?

Austin Aquariums by Northcross Mall has a great wavemaker in one of their tanks that is about 2" deep and takes up the entire right side (short wall) of the aquarium.

Dave "renman303"

www.nonnascucina.net

renman303,

The wavemaker at Austin Aquariums is the Wave2K like I mentioned I have and really like.

Mike,

What did you want to know about it? Sorry if I didn't respond, thought I did. They have a little movie on their website that shows it in operation.

You are also very welcome to come by my house and take a look at mine if you wish, too (warning - its this same tank that I'm trying to get the Euro-Reef skimmer going on :) ).

Here is their website URL, so you can order online if you don't want to order through AA (he just orders it himself).

The inventor/owner is a great guy to work with.

http://www.wave2k.com/index.htm

Stephen