For all of you with heat issues (Cheap solution)

mcallahan

I have a temp probe and a pH probe and after calibrating the pH probe, I was surprised to find my pH off. Test kits said 8.2, pH probe = 7.9. I'll trust the probe.

My pH probe registered really low until I told it to account for temperature, then the results started pretty much matching the test kit.

I'm not sure if that's the right answer.

BTW, for anyone without ethernet near their tank, the next generation Aqua Controller, called the Apex, is supposed to be out at the end of the month(ish). It's prettier, but pretty much the same functionality, same iPhone interface available, but it's WIFI.

I thought since it is so hot outside right now, I'd update everyone on how the tank and cooling system is holding up.

Things to note: We keep our house @ 77 during the day.

Tank-wise: W/the A/C running more now, my tank doesn't get above 78.1. So my daily swing is from 77.4 to 78.1. My Top off water usage has gone up. I figure I use about 1.75G/day. Luckily I have RO/DI in my garage so topping off my top off is easy.

trying to keep within a 1 degree range might stress out your fans if you don't add some logic that is smart about putting the proper timeouts between temp change events and fan on off events. Or a auto adjusting algorithm that tunes its timings. I don't think there is a need to keep that tight of a range anyway. Its almost MORE natural to have a 3-4 flux through the day. Right?

N

In the wild there are temp swings like that, but with our systems being closed most have found that having a smaller swing is more desirable. I try to keep mine within 1 degree. I also use the fan on the sump and computer fans in the hood method. I run them on my RK2. My tank stays in the 78 degree range.

In the wild there are temp swings like that, but with our systems being closed most have found that having a smaller swing is more desirable. I try to keep mine within 1 degree. I also use the fan on the sump and computer fans in the hood method. I run them on my RK2. My tank stays in the 78 degree range.

You were part of the inspiration man! :lol:

AZ Thanks for the tip.

In the ever going quest to improve my tank I wanted to lower the heat. At first i didn't think it was a big deal as whenever i was home it stayed between 78-82. I upgraded my fuge light and with summer i started seeing some spikes up to 84! I picked up a clip on 10$ fan from wal-mart and added it to my main light timer and now am back to a 76-79 range. Great tip and on my nano I have about 1-1.5 liters of evaporation a day which is very manageable.

• 1 month later...

OK so what did your controller run you? My $10 fan is keeping my tank at about 80 or so. I have putting in about 2.5 to 3 gallons a day. Sometimes I do turn it off at night. My AC is set to 82.

My AC is set to 82.

It's going to be very hard to keep a tank at 78-80 degrees with the ambient temperature at 82. What kind of lighting are you running. Do you run a light on your fuge? Do you run the fuge light at night. All thing to take into consideration.

That said if all you want to do is control lights and fans/heater the Reefkeeper Lite is around 100 bucks. Well worth the investment considering you could lose all your livestock during a heat wave. Oh wait we already are in one. :D

Again just my opinion.

Dave-

My temp stays about 80 to 82 which is all I am really concerned about. I am running CF lighting at this point but I am either going to change to T5 or (by strong preference) LED. I don't do deep water or SPS corals. I try to stick to what I think are Caribbean types of coral. I think those typically live in warmer waters than what I am keeping. If my turf scrubber will get my phosphates and nitrates under control so my algae will go away, I will be a very happy camper. I am not currently using a skimmer.

My temp stays about 80 to 82 which is all I am really concerned about. I am running CF lighting at this point but I am either going to change to T5 or (by strong preference) LED. I don't do deep water or SPS corals. I try to stick to what I think are Caribbean types of coral. I think those typically live in warmer waters than what I am keeping. If my turf scrubber will get my phosphates and nitrates under control so my algae will go away, I will be a very happy camper. I am not currently using a skimmer.

Since you aren't running a skimmer right now, I can see why you'd have an algae/phosphate/nitrate problem. I'll be interested to see how the turf scrubber will help with your phosphates/nitrates as a replacement to a skimmer.

My sump is a Tidepool II by Marineland. It came as a kit with the tank. I set this tank up over 4 years ago and I have always had nitrate issues. I could never get it below 40. The sump had a bio-wheel feature. Recently, I read that the bio-wheel has a bacterial component that converts nitrogen to nitrates. About 10 days ago, I built the turf scrubber and removed the wheel. The scrubber had built up some algae and my nitrates, ammonia, etc. have not changed. It is way too soon. I am hoping over the next 6 to 8 weeks to get my parameters in better order.

• 2 months later...

I've been trying to find some of these clipon fans you folks mention, but I cant find any. I went to walmart, target, lowes and home depot, no luck. Walmart had some desk fans, but no clip ons.