Free green slimer

mcallahan

Hey Mark....are you going to the MAAST meeting today?

I'd like to try a piece as I just met Mr. Slimer yesterday!! Can I trade you something back? I hate to take something for nothing!!

Laura

i might make it down..ill have to see my day goes. When do you work @ RCA if I can't make it today?

Mark,

I can come get it right now and frag it out to folks who want some later. You know I just live right around the corner from you.

-Steve

Ok, brooks gets the colony, I have several long frags from my other colony you can take. Could you swing by about 1p?

Sure whenever. PM me your number and I can give you a call before I head over there to let you know I'm on my way.

-Steve

Steve-

It turns out I have another piece that has a couple of branches and is 5"+. I also have some yellow and red stylo I can frag for you too.

My # is 963.5479. About 1pm should be fine. I have to wash the pug so the little dude stops scratching...he is allergic to something in the air.

OK...so Nano is coming to the Maast meeting? That would work!! If not, I work at RCA MON,TUES & WED's from 11-4....

Thanks Mark!!

Wait, if I walk into RCA...I'm going to buy something. This could be dangerous.

I wanted to let everyone know that Little_Reef picked up the larger colony this morning and he just called me to let me know that his piece did indeed have acro eating flat worms on it.

So everyone who wanted a frag of this slimer, I'm not going to risk having these flatworms making their way around our tanks, so I'm throwing it all out.

Lisa - I'd consider throwing yours out as well. Its just not worth the risk. Slimer is easy to find, getting rid of acro eating flatworms is not.

None of my other acros are showing any signs of being affected by the flat worms, so I don't think they've spread.

Sorry to break the bad news, but its not worth hurting our tanks and the club.

I'll be all serious now...

For anyone that doesn't find these to be a threat, and easy to get rid of, you're very wrong. These can spread rapidly; they lay eggs as soon as they're comfortable in their environment, and those eggs hatch quickly. Signs of these are not conspicuous. Very close (with a magnifying glass) examination of the coral is 100000000% necessary. White "scratches" can be seen along the base of the coral. These "scratches" are actually bite marks from the Acropora Eating Flatworms (AEFW).

If left untreated, your Acropora sp. will being to die before your eyes.

NOTE:

THESE ARE PRACTICALLY INVISIBLE! VERY CLOSE EXAMINATION IS THE ONLY WAY TO SEE THESE! DOING AN IODINE DIP AND SLOSHING THE CORAL AROUND IN THE IODINE WILL KNOCK THEM OFF, AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEE THEM BETTER.

-Brooks

• 1 month later...

Tonya-

I threw it all out as I got a report from another ARC member that it had acro eating flatworms on it. ITs a pretty common coral tho so put a request out on the want to buy forum and I'm sure someone has some.