First Acro Eating Flat Worm Tread on ARC

fishypets

Although the process started two weeks ago, I would like to take the time and share with you guys the biggest nightmare one could imagine. I suspected something was up when I started losing color fast on my sps. I suspected a pest but never imagined the AEFW. I first noticed by fraging a branch of a coral that appeared to have little "bite marks" all over. I made a quick lugols dip and what I found next almost brought me to tears.

IMG_6413.jpg

After confirming this coral had the AEFW I inspected about 10 other sps and every one had the little buggers. cwm21.gif

I knew the road ahead would be a long one but started seeking advice from fellow reefers and quickly came up with a plan................To remove everything from my tank and place into a QT for a minimum of 10 weeks and treating the AEFW with Fluke tabs. I also called a few guys that had received frags from me and one other (MOJO) also confirmed he had the little pest. I didn't know where I would find a QT tank and then Ace (hobogato) showed up. He constructed one of the finest looking QT tanks built with such short notice.

IMG_6401.jpg

IMG_6402.jpg

IMG_6404.jpg

IMG_6406.jpg

Yep, as Clint mentioned, I had been smitten as well. I suspected them due to poor coloration and PE in my acros, even after killing red bugs with Interceptor. The worst coral in my tank was this millepora frag. I simply removed it and placed it into a small bowl of tank water.

AEFW1.jpg

Check out the bottom, between the purple putty, and you can see a cluster of AEFW eggs.

I then placed 5 drops of Lugol's solution in the container and after 1 minute and a little water movement with a turkey baster, here's what I found.

AEFW4.jpg

So now all of my SPS (except for my monti caps) are living in Clint's QT. More updates to come from Clint, I'm sure.

As a group, all of us at ARC need to be very diligent and compulsive about dipping and/or quarantining all of our corals. This will be very important so that we don't continue to pass these and other pests into other tanks locally. Let's all commit to good quarantine and dipping procedures so that we can make central Texas a "no pest" zone. It will certainly make it easier for all of us to continue to share frags and advance our husbandry practices. That will be a lot more fun (and less expensive) than refining our skills in killing parasites.

Why do you have to cook off your rock?  will the parasites live off of something on the rock if all of the coral is gone?

To get a clean start from unwanted algae and other ugly looking crap. Once my tank is back up and running it should be stunning.

The first treatment was done with Tropic Marin dip, due to the fluke tabs not making it in. Here is a sample of what came off the first few corals.

IMG_6412.jpg

By the time the last coral had been dipped I bet we killed 500-1,000 flat worms and scraped a ton of eggs. You can see on this milli colony the egg mass.

IMG_6422.jpg

IMG_6423.jpg

IMG_6424.jpg

Scraping eggs wasn't fun but lucky for me I know a good surgeon. Check him out. I hope he doesn't bill my insurance for the many hours he was over last week :)

IMG_6566.jpg

Well that is all for now, but stay tuned for more fun and excitement.

I'd be glad to head up a group buy on the glasses, if there's some interest. I actually want another pair anyway. Mine only magnify to 2.5x, and I'd like to get a pair that goes to 5x. Just let me know who's in. If I were you all, however, I'd use the money to get a new Deltec skimmer instead (a really BIG one) :) . Plus, I don't think any of you out there would qualify to wear them, since you have to be a dork to pull it off.

Mike,

What was the silver cylinder looking thing you were holding?

Not sure how much y'all were joking about the glasses, but Mike correct me if I'm wrong, the ones you had are pretty expensive?

As an alternative, if anyone is really interested, you can get a Mag-Visor that will give you the magnification for around $30 - $40 at most better hobby stores (I would recommend King's Hobby on Lamar). You can beat that price on the Internet by $10 - $20 as well.

Finally,

Fishypets mentioned a good dip and quarantine procedure for new corals.

Could someone outline a good step-bystep process for that for us newbie's, including any recommended brands (know of Lugol's and saw Tropic Marin mentioned)?

Stephen

Mike,

It's a state-of-the-art flatworm detector that utilizes light waves to detect substances obscured by particulate matter that otherwise hinders the transfer of light energy. In other words, it's a flashlight :) .

Yes, the glasses are quite pricey. I wasn't kidding about the cost equaling a REALLY BIG skimmer. The 5x ones that I'm going to get cost even more. Unless you have a professional use for the glasses, get the Mag-Visor that you mentioned.

Mike,

It's a state-of-the-art flatworm detector that utilizes light waves to detect substances obscured by particulate matter that otherwise hinders the transfer of light energy. In other words, it's a flashlight :)

That is too funny!

Been a while since this thread was updated with useful info and I'm afraid this report isn't a good one. It all started yesterday after the fluke tab treatment I noticed some of the table acros were starting to RTN (Rapid Tissue Necrosis) I removed the corals that were stressed and went to bed. This morning I wake up and more coral has died overnight so I remove them and go to work. When I came home this afternoon and opened the front door the smell of dead sps almost knocked me down. I ran to the QT tank and noticed some big colonies had bit the dust or were starting to RTN. With the help of the Dude we changed out water, replaced carbon and fragged everything that was still healthy. Here are a few pics I took during the process.

IMG_6585.jpg

IMG_6587.jpg

IMG_6588.jpg

IMG_6589.jpg

IMG_6590.jpg

IMG_6591.jpg

IMG_6592.jpg

IMG_6593.jpg

IMG_6594.jpg