SPS

jrsimank

Any ideas on why our sps is suddenly dying??

It started out with one piece that wasn't doing very well any way and has worked it's way across the tank... One coral at a time.

All the parameters are fine, they are stable where they have always been or better. I'm just puzzled why all of a sudden they are all dying off when nothing has changed...

HELP PLEASE!!

how is the salinity? If it is too low, I have seen them die one by one. Also, high phosphates can make them unhealthy...

Salt is good. the phosphates are up a little but no higher than they usually get. Never had a problem before, planning to do a water change tho this week.

also...what kind of lighting do you have? I just fried some SPS by not knowing my new MH bulb was not UV protected...

We did have a MH go out last week and I assumed he ordered the same thing to replace it. I'll check it out tho.

Yep, make sure its uv protected bulb, or your fixture has a uv protective lens. Mama learned this the hard way. What's your temperature at? If it aint stable, like swings degrees from day time to night time, that can be your problem. Got any bugs?

We did have a MH go out last week and I assumed he ordered the same thing to replace it. I'll check it out tho.

sounds to me like your new light is puting a higher par reading than your old bulbs. You should ALWAYS acclimate your coral to the lights weather you get new bulbs or new frags. I suggest moving them low starting with only actinic lighting only then slowly add more light over the next few weeks.

PS it does not matter if it is the same bulb, new ones will always tend to read higher depending on how old the previous bulb was.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you figure this out? I have to agree that it might have been your MH change. Please post your water parameters.

Is the actual tissue dying off or is it just losing color?

Did you figure this out? I have to agree that it might have been your MH change. Please post your water parameters.

Is the actual tissue dying off or is it just losing color?

I moved all the stuff that was still alive to the bottom and slowly moved it back up and all is well. And the GSP came back, I was surprised. Only lost 4 or 5 of the other corals. It had to have been the light. All the water parameters are stable, still. Kyle comes home in less than 3 weeks, hopefully I can keep it alive until then :dribble:

What happened was everything bleached out, and never came back :lol: I don't know what the parameters are off hand I just know that they are within the normal levels they are supposed to be (I have a little chart at home)

I moved all the stuff that was still alive to the bottom and slowly moved it back up and all is well. And the GSP came back, I was surprised. Only lost 4 or 5 of the other corals. It had to have been the light. All the water parameters are stable, still. Kyle comes home in less than 3 weeks, hopefully I can keep it alive until then :D

What happened was everything bleached out, and never came back :| I don't know what the parameters are off hand I just know that they are within the normal levels they are supposed to be (I have a little chart at home)

Glad it wasn't worse than that! Regular water changes with RO/DI water are great at 1) removing pollutants and 2) replenishing stable parameters