chiller

don duncan

Sorry about your coral. You might want to do something to decrease the heat until you get a chiller. Things I can think of off the top of my head are

1) run your lights less or even consider a day with lights off. This could be beneficial in other ways as well, opinions seem to vary on its benefits.

2) turn your ac down a few degrees during the hottest point

3) by some cheap fans to blow air at the tank. I have a ceiling fan that lowers the tank temp by 5+ degrees when on. I do have an open top tank though.

I use two icecap 120mm fans, they were 50 each, but they work great on my 90G with (6) t5s on it. The fans come with temperature probes that I put near the lights. water stays below 82, typically less than 81. I'm sure I would get even better cooling if I placed them in the lid of the canopy rather than behind the canopy near the wall. Long term I too would like a jbj chiller, but 650 for a 1/4hp is alot.

https://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~act...dor~~tab~0.html

I know you got that chiller Capt. The guy emailed me lastnight to let me know it was gone.

I broke down and bought a 1/3 hp dropin chiller from tradewind chillers. It was 525. ouch

ouch is right!....I am tempted to get the one in dallas and sell it locally....**** these tx summers and halides

83 shouldn't be too catastrophic what type of coral is it? I have had acros up to 86 with no problems. Its more about the fluctuation in temperature. Avg reef temps are usually in the mid 80s. Its just so hard to keep a tank at 79...

83 shouldn't be too catastrophic what type of coral is it? I have had acros up to 86 with no problems. Its more about the fluctuation in temperature. Avg reef temps are usually in the mid 80s. Its just so hard to keep a tank at 79..

That's the problem. The tank has temp swings.

Average temp is 78. It was 84@ 9:30 pm so no telling how

High it got.

78-84 is to big a swing