Bahamas Bound...

Brooks

So last summer I went on a 10 day trip to the Bahamas with my best friend, his sister, and his sister's friend. We headed to Freeport and spent 10 days there snorkeling, spearfishing, etc. One thing I didn't pay much attention to is the different species of coral down there. I recall seeing a 7ft Brain coral, but that's about it. I'll be going back this summer in June! I'm extremely excited.

Anyway that I'm trying to get at is: does anyone know of some cool coral species to look out for down there? Any Acropora down there? Let me know what all is good to look for down there!

Thanks!

Brooks

I was thinking of doing that but after a day or so of getting used to holding your breath from spear fishing, I can (when pushing it) hold it for about 2 minutes and dive about 25-30 feet. Not I said pushing holding my breath. :D

Wow...that's impressive.

Now what if you didn't have to hold it and could stay down for 45 mins up to an hour depending on your depth. I've cruised around a reef for 30 mins all while a dogface puffer followed me around wondering what I was up to.

If we could all time it right, I'd be up for a recert too. As long as you two don't mind being seen with an old, fat, pale, hairy guy! :blink:

I did Cozumel in 87. After certification in Lake Whitney, I was a kid in a candy store. Talk about clear water. I remember feeding some fish sopapillas

after lunch, hearing the DM bang his tank to get someone's attention, turning my head for 10-15 seconds and turning back around to find a 8-10" French angel had replaced the previous diner. I yelped underwater. :D

I wonder if we could get a group rate on diving lessons? I've never dived and I'm not a great swimmer, but I'm comfortable in the water. Wonder if being a smoke would disqualify me?

ej

I have a contact @ a dive shop, so I can ask.

Smoking wouldn't disqualify you, allegeries might.

I wonder if we could get a group rate on diving lessons? I've never dived and I'm not a great swimmer, but I'm comfortable in the water. Wonder if being a smoke would disqualify me?

ej

I have a contact @ a dive shop, so I can ask.

Smoking wouldn't disqualify you, allegeries might.

We leave for Jamaica on Sunday!

Wish I had a scuba certification. The resort we're staying at has dives included.

I'm hoping to do the "in resort" certification to at least do a shallow dive or two. Depends on how motivated I get. All-inclusive resorts don't leave a lot of room for motivation. :D

We leave for Jamaica on Sunday!

Wish I had a scuba certification. The resort we're staying at has dives included.

I'm hoping to do the "in resort" certification to at least do a shallow dive or two. Depends on how motivated I get. All-inclusive resorts don't leave a lot of room for motivation. :D

Which one you headed to?