Are we too close to the sun?

ysanford

We currently have two 175watt 12K and one 250watt 12k metal halides on our 55 gallon. We noticed a bit of bleaching on some our sps peices, so we are beginning to wonder if we have too much light for our size tank. The wattage break down is 10.9 watts per gallon. So, what is the proper wattage per gallon? We have heard and read around 6 to 12 watts per gallon. Not really sure what to believe so we just wanted to get a general opinion.

We currently have two 175watt 12K and one 250watt 12k metal halides on our 55 gallon. We noticed a bit of bleaching on some our sps peices, so we are beginning to wonder if we have too much light for our size tank. The wattage break down is 10.9 watts per gallon. So, what is the proper wattage per gallon? We have heard and read around 6 to 12 watts per gallon. Not really sure what to believe so we just wanted to get a general opinion.

I rely more on PAR than WPG any more. but...I have heard of 2x400w MH on a 90g and a 75g before

You're going to want to know the PAR (Photosynthetically Available Radiation) ratings for different levels of your tank.

In short, it is a great factor in your corals growth, aside from parameters. But for the sake of Google....PAR measures the number of photons of light falling on a given area in a given amount of time.

Try moving them down a little bit. Always start your new corals in the sandbed, and gradually move them up. Examine polyp extension and color as you move them up. When you see good color, and good extension, you know that is the right spot for them. This is acclimation to the light source.

In my opinion, watts/gallon are somewhat irrelevant; deeper tanks generally need stronger lights, shallower tanks can get by with weaker lights. As already mentioned, some corals are better off in an area with lower PAR. If the corals are bleaching, try moving them lower. Of course, many other things can cause a coral to bleach...

Daniel

In my opinion, watts/gallon are somewhat irrelevant; deeper tanks generally need stronger lights, shallower tanks can get by with weaker lights. As already mentioned, some corals are better off in an area with lower PAR. If the corals are bleaching, try moving them lower. Of course, many other things can cause a coral to bleach...

Daniel

We started them pretty low, or so I thought. I moved them a little lower last night, so I'll see how they do. They aren't bleaching any more. I think the two 175's and the 250 were too much for them. We are considering trading the 250 for another 175 depending on how they all start doing. Thanks for all the info.