Let there be light! (aka: New toy v2.0)

chrisfowler99

You could always plug your lights into a non GFCI outlet. Honestly I don't worry about the lights as much as stuff actually in the tank (heaters/pumps/etc.). You can always turn off the lights if you are working in the tank to avoid any risk. IMO a GFCI is not going to save the tank if the lighting falls in.

You could always plug your lights into a non GFCI outlet. Honestly I don't worry about the lights as much as stuff actually in the tank (heaters/pumps/etc.). You can always turn off the lights if you are working in the tank to avoid any risk. IMO a GFCI is not going to save the tank if the lighting falls in.

The problem is...they're being controlled by the AC III, on the DC8, which I need plugged into the GFCI.

My only choice would be to pick up a DC4 and run that separate from the GFCI. I'd like to avoid it, but it may be my only option.

Either that, or a less crappy GFCI. :)

What bulb combo?

Looks nice, btw.

Front:

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Aquablue

ATI Blue Plus

UVI 75/25

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Aquablue

ATI Blue Plus

(per recommendation of The Grim Reefer on Reef Central)

I like the single switch colors. Switch combinations are:

1, 4, 7

2, 6

3, 5

I can't see the multi-switch combos until I figure out the GFCI issue.

For now I'm just running the 1, 4, 7 combo on an automated setup.

Entropy a properly set up GFCI will indeed save a tank if a light should ever fall in. They measure outgoing current to that which comes back. If the voltage is off by something like 0.000000006 millivolts they will instantly shut down. Being in "real" construction, IE: commercial and industrial not residential, we must abide by OSHA rules which insist upon all tools being plugged into a GFCI.

Now keep in mind that your 6 plug surge protector is not a GFCI and will continue to allow voltage to leak out without shutting off. I see to many people relying on their surge protectors to save the day in error.

Awesome fixture... Looks like the one I ordered and got last week. ;)

Where did you get your fixture from? I ordered it via AquariumSpeciality and they had it drop shipped from Aquactinics.

I am going with this bulb combination:

ATI Aquablue Special

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Aquablue Special

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Aquablue Special

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Aquablue Special

Does your fixture get extremely hot in the middle? I did not have that problem with my Aquactinics 36" TX5. But, I ordered risers for my constellation so it would not sit directly on the glass.

Chris an in wall GFCI takes less than 5 minutes to install and I just happen to have about 30 of them for some reason. If you want one to try, let me know.

The PIA isn't so much the actual installation, as it is getting to the outlet. :lol:

$10 for the outlet isn't bad either...but if you've got spares. :D