Live Phytoplankton

Rjohn

I keep seeing ads on Craig's List for bottles of live phytoplankton. However, I don't see them on here. Is this a desirable product? In a 72 gal tank with small corals, how much would I use? Does anyone know anything about this? I hate being first.

I'm not entirely sure about buying on eBay, however I do add a phytoplankton supplement at least 3 times weekly. It's very beneficial when your corals are in heterotrophic (Obtain food from the water; not self-made) mode. Phytoplankton is very useful for many soft corals as well... I know my Goniopora is enjoying it. The brand I'm using is Kent's Marine PhtyoPlex. I add it about 3 - 4 times per week. Spot feeding usually isn't necessary, just add somewhere close to the coral itself.

Ive heard to only dose phyto once a month. It can lead to large algae outbreaks. If you have any tangs a lot of the corals will consume their waste. I dosed phyto when i first set my tank up. Havent used it in months everything has been great. From what i was told it can actually cause more harm to a tank than benefit the tank

Yeah... don't dose it unless you have non-photosynthetic corals. Though a lot of corals can switch between autotrophic and heterotrophic, unless you have quite a few that are known to consume phytoplankton, I wouldn't dose it too often. Although, it might cause excessive algae growth, if you have a good clean up crew, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Sorry if I was off on the first post.. Must have read wrong. :\

Most mushroom species are photosynthetic; pretty easy to take care of as far as feeding goes. Frogspawn is photosynthetic as well, I believe. Zoanthid's accept target feeding, however, they are photosynthetic as well.

I've tried before. It's harder than it looks. Mine crashed. :angry:

I have heard that at times getting it started is hit or miss. there are a few different ways to do it. some work better than others. bottom line it is a cheap little experiment that can have a decent return.

tell ya what...anyone gives me the stuff to make it and I'll do it....and provide said supplier with a (virtually) endless source of phyto...

any takers :lol:

same offer goes for rotifers. and brine. and copeapod farming.

.....no takers?