NEW DSLR!

dustint21

I bought it for my wife, she wants to get into the hobby. Which is great cause I can steal her camera and take shots of my tank! LOL! Alot of you seem to have this down to a science. Where should I start? I would like to find a macro lens for my camera, I just dont know what to look for. Who makes good lens at decent price for our new camera? What do I look for in a good lens, and what do all the dang numbers mean on the different lens? O the camera is a Sony A300. Here are a few pics I took messing around with it. Like I said I know nothing about these awsome cameras.

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00258.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

DSC00274.jpg

DSC00191.jpg

DSC00207.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Dustin

Correct me if a I am wrong but don't Sony cameras take Nikon lenses? Either way look for a 100mm macro lens if you want great close ups. Looks like you are off to a great start. Are using manual focus or auto? Some of them seem just a hint out of focus. Could just be the glass though.

A few thoughts, and I will try to simplify a bit (I used to do a lot of photography):

In low light, an automatic camera will select a slow shutter speed to get more light onto the sensor (or film) which captures the image. This leads to shaky pictures if the camera is hand held. Consider using a tripod to hold the camera steady for low light levels (most anything other than bright sunlight or without flash), and a shutter release cable that screws into the camera's shutter button. These can help to steady the camera for sharper pictures. They can both be found for cheap, Craigs List or eBay for instance.

Also, to get more light in, an automatic camera may enlarge the lens opening (big lens opening = small f-stop number and vice-versa). Without getting into a lengthy discussion, a small lens opening (large f-stop number) will give your photos more depth of field (where the image is in focus from near to far). When you do macro photography, the depth of field becomes less the closer you focus on something.

Some cameras (& all light meters) will show combinations of shutter speed and lens opening that all supposedly work for a given scene. Again, for macro photography, choose a small lens opening (big number f-stop) with its corresponding slow shutter speed. Then use the tripod and shutter release cable to accommodate the slow shutter speed. (Or, depending on your camera, you could choose a slow shutter speed for something stationary and let the camera select the corresponding lens opening.)

Finally, check the instructions to see if the camera has a built-in macro mode. I have a slightly-better-than-cheap digital camera that has a macro mode that can be switched on and off. If your camera has a macro mode, then you do not need an additional macro lens (unless you want to spend big bucks and take professional pictures, probably with a different camera). If you go the macro lens route, you might check to see if your camera will accept a macro adapter that screws over the front of your regular lens. This would be a cheaper alternative, if available.

I hope this was helpful, and I didn't talk too much. Good luck, and have fun.

• 4 months later...

These are some impressive photos with that camera. We just got the Sony A350 a few months ago and I've been reading a book from Barns and Noble that goes all the way through both the 300 and 350. These pics have me motivated to test mine out. Will post if I can get anything good with it.

• 1 month later...

I just got the same camera (sony a300) about 2 weeks ago it came with the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm lenses. What lens and setting were you using to get those pics? Ive been playing around with mine but i havent been able to get any shots like that, i need to get myself a macro lens.

Yep I have been looking at them as well. I was using the stock lens with the camera on the macro setting. I have been playin with it alot lately and reading alot of good info. Hopefully I will have some better pics soon.....