48" T5 Lighting

chrisfowler99

48" 75 gallon tank.

Nova Extreme 8x54w (4x daylight 10k, 4x actinic 460nm) 432 watts total, plus 8 lunar lights: $450ish

Nova Extreme Pro 6x54w (3x daylight 10k, 3x actinic 460nm) 324 watts total: $450ish

- better cooling

- better (individual) reflectors?

Tek 6x54w (without bulbs) 324 watts total: $390ish + $60ish for legs = $450ish

$450ish is the high end of what I'd like to pay. I'd much rather find something used, but looking around that doesn't seem too common.

What others are worth considering?

Aquactinics TX5. It is 5 bulb. Cooling fan, individual reflectors, better output than any of the above, will sit right on top of the tank without heating the water, comes with mounting brackets, but risers are available. $462 from DIYreef.com. I've got the 36" version and love it.

There is always the ATI powermodule for the utmost in cool though. A 4 bulb unit is $499 at reefgeek.com. They have 6,8,10 bulb models too but they are a bit more.

Aquactinic or ATI are the two best T5 fixtures out there. The Extreme Pro gets good reviews and the numbers are on par(no pun intended) with the TEK. You'd want to change the bulbs out of either of the Nova units for best performance(IMO.)

My $.02.

Forgot to add: check the used section on RC if you haven't already. Also, what do you want to keep? If sps/clams/anemone then get the TX5 or

Powermodule(IMO.)

Edited by Robb in Austin

Aquactinics TX5. It is 5 bulb. Cooling fan, individual reflectors, better output than any of the above, will sit right on top of the tank without heating the water, comes with mounting brackets, but risers are available. $462 from DIYreef.com. I've got the 36" version and love it.

I'm going to have to look into that one.

There is always the ATI powermodule for the utmost in cool though. A 4 bulb unit is $499 at reefgeek.com. They have 6,8,10 bulb models too but they are a bit more.

The price is crazy on those.

They do sound great, though.

There's the other ATI model that sounds pretty much impossible to get right now that's supposed to be much nicer on price...but, again, impossible to get.

edit: The ATI SunPower

Aquactinic or ATI are the two best T5 fixtures out there. The Extreme Pro gets good reviews and the numbers are on par(no pun intended) with the TEK. You'd want to change the bulbs out of either of the Nova units for best performance(IMO.)

My $.02.

Forgot to add: check the used section on RC if you haven't already. Also, what do you want to keep? If sps/clams/anemone then get the TX5 or

Powermodule(IMO.)

I've been all over the used section on RC...I refresh often just to see if I can catch someone selling. ;)

Edited by chrisfowler99