RO/DI vs. Bottle RO/DI

Nathan Explosion

So I have a little problem with some green algae. I have a fuval 305 and a seaclone 100 skimmer for filtration on a 29 gallon tank. Still have algae growing in the tank thats just on the rocks and its starting to get annoying :angry: water clarity is great but just algae on the rocks is ugly to me and is hindering the growth of some of the corals (not getting the light) i use to remove it by scrubbing the rocks. i cant do that now with out exposion the corals to air. i have like 10 snails 15 hermit crabs 1 larger crab (dont even know what kind) and they dont even make a dent in it.

so i am thinking it could be my tap water so i was looking at ro/di units and they are spendy and i dont think i have the h2o pressure required at the faucet. so do you think water from a water delivery company would be just as good ( or at least better to off set what i am using now) or should i just get the ro/di unit and be done with it. $ is kind of a object, but if i have spent a boat load on this tank the last 5 years, why stop now?

Tap water is fine as long as you treat it for chlorine.

Algae is caused by nutrients. You need to increase you nutrient export and decrease the inport. How many fish do you have and how often do you feed?

The Fluval is probably not doing you any good. In fact it can act as a breeding ground for nutrient producers.

More water changes and a better skimmer will help. There is no magic panacea for algae.

If you are worried about you tap water, get it tested. You should also test you tank water. That will give you a good idea where the nasties are coming from.

Adding a RO or RO/DI unit is a great way to go. You will know exactly what is (or is not) in your water. Of course you have to supplement lots more calcium for what the carbon sucks out of the tap water.

You're really using tap water? Out of the faucet? Might be an issue. Theres all kinds of bad stuff in tap water. The alternatives you mentioned sound reasonable. I see in your badge you have a 30 gallon tank. There is a mini RO-DI unit that might be a good solution for you.

BTW I saw this chart the other day. Kind of depressing. I'm not sure how our region's water quality adds up but if it's like this, it couldn't be good for a reef tank without some serious filtration.

whodruggedmydrink.jpg

Tap water is fine as long as you treat it for chlorine.

Algae is caused by nutrients. You need to increase you nutrient export and decrease the inport. How many fish do you have and how often do you feed?

The Fluval is probably not doing you any good. In fact it can act as a breeding ground for nutrient producers.

More water changes and a better skimmer will help. There is no magic panacea for algae.

If you are worried about you tap water, get it tested. You should also test you tank water. That will give you a good idea where the nasties are coming from.

Adding a RO or RO/DI unit is a great way to go. You will know exactly what is (or is not) in your water. Of course you have to supplement lots more calcium for what the carbon sucks out of the tap water.

i have one blue damsel (spell?) i feed him about every other day, i change 5 gallons a week, my tap water tested for some ammonia ( i use a additive), i use a phosphate sponge (kent marine), the tank is not exposed to outside light, ph is steady with regular water changes, i have never taken my water anywhere to get tested. the problem more arose when i got corals and went for having my lights of 2 hours a day to 10-12 hours a day. maybe i should cut back the light to like 8 hours then maybe 6?

Melev and Buckeye Field Supply have some good prices on good units.

I like the security of RO/DI but I have run multiple, very successful tanks on treated tap water. Central Texas water is verry hard which means there is lots of calcium and minerals in the water. Coral love this.

Green algae is photosynthetic and long light cycles will make it grow like a weed.

Thanks.

I'm thinking of putting one in my laundry room using the lines for the washing machine and running the output through the wall to the garage to a container out there.

No convenient access to power in that area, so that should work well.

the only time they mite require power is for a small jockey pump to up the pressure, if you have poor water pressure then some of the ro/di units have them as an option. at least the ones i saw in dr fosters and smith did. but i am no pro at this either.