new from san marcos

Esco

Whats going on people, im new to owning a saltwater tank i just recently set up a 55g with two blue damsels and a 3 stripe damsle, and a engineer goby, and a osc. clown. and a choc. starfish... but anyways the tank was running for two weeks with 5 lbs of live rock before i added any fish, but three weeks after stocking it i noticed some sort of brown stringy alge growing on the glass and rocks. all the params seem fine except for the water being really hard. what would cuase that? and how do i get rid of it?

cool, thanks. yea i figured it'd prolly be better to let time take its course. just wanted a second opinion, that was a pretty quick responce. if anyone know where to get about 20-50 lbs of live sand on the cheap around austin or san marcos, i need some.

yup, only 5lbs of live rock right now, down here it cost 10 dollars a lb at animal wonders. so yea, pretty pricey. i do have like 15 lbs of live sand, but i need alot more.

You can find LR online for $2-4lb. Heck, find some dead rock and throw it in your tank and let it get seeded by your live stuff. $10/lb is insane.

Edited by azcummins

$10 a lb is crazy. However, I have to tell you I am surprised any of your livestock is still alive. That is a lot of fish to add after only 2 weeks especially with that small amount of rock. I would watch your ammonia very closely and be ready to do water changes. As Mark said above Live rock can be had for much cheaper. Online or from other reefers here or on MAAST.org, or even some of the stores up here are around $6 if I remember correctly.

Hey welcome to the hobby. I figure I'd go ahead and say hi to ya.

So your buying from Animal Wonders. The stories I've heard about the shop would have sent me on a short road trip to Darby's in New Braunsfel or the Aquadome in S. Austin. The couple of dollars you spend on gas will both be made up with cheaper prices and much better quality and selection. B&B Aquatics in SA is their best shop. Aquarium designs in SA isn't to bad compared to where you shop now. Heck you might even try Polly's Pets in New Braunsfel and N. SA.

I always try to advise people to not just buy live rock at $7 or so a lb when if you shop wisely you can generally find comparable pieces of rock covered in corals for the same price as the rock itself. Mushrooms are a good example. How many times have we seen a 5blb piece of rock completely covered in mushrooms or zoa for $30? Talk to Prof (Dave) on this forum about rock and sand, he should be able to get you squared away for much less money.

So by now you've already heard that you've taken things a bit quickly. However all is not lost. You've happened to have bought about the most resilient salt water creatures available. Thankfully you haven't ran out and bought yourself a couple of mandarin gobies, a Rhinopius, blue ribbon eel, or other such fish. Personally I feel that your fish are going to be survivors. You haven't mentioned anything about how your tank is set up for filtration, lights, or even pictures. You should start yourself a tank thread in the forums.

• 4 weeks later...