Urchin hanging out at surface

ckyuv

So I have had this urchin for a bit and it’s pretty cool. Overall it seems healthy and loves to eat everything in its path. 

It has been at the surface of the water quite a bit since I got it, and always seems to be trying to get air or something? It’ll cruise the tank all day, then come up and do this for about an hour before going away. Is this just one of those weird saltwater tank things or does it seem odd? Can’t say I’ve ever seen it before. 

It might be getting ready to spawn.  It might be pulling surface stuff off to eat but I think the feeding behavior is more likely just instinct.  Is that an area that doesn't have any surface currents?  FWIW, if the spawn is yellowish or orangish it's a female releasing eggs, if the spawn is white it's a male and the spawn is sperm.

So, next obvious question.  If you have a male and female, are folks able to breed urchins in tanks?  Or do the offspring require crazy special care?

It was in the front corner above the powerhead where there is low current on the surface. I wonder if that’s what it was doing. 

never saw anything come out of it but have not been home the much few days so may have missed it if it was spawning. I’ll have to keep a closer eye out when I see it up there again. Of course since I asked I have not seen it do that lol 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Timfish said:

It's funny how self-conscious some people can get sometimes when you talk about them.  🤨

You said they have no brain so I just went to gossip town