Is this thing on?

DerrickH

Ive been away for quite a few years now.  Last go at this, I lost the battle to dino twice and said deuces to the hobby.   A few years ago I built a pico AIO and it did great for a year till you guessed it...dino...but wait theres more!  After a few days it cleared up all on its own!  Well that cemented my thought about the aerosol propellants being the root cause.  Turns out my wife and her friend getting all blinged out for dinner one night, spraying their bath and body works spray caused the dino in the pico.  Once her friend went back to OK a few days later, it all disappeared. 

So many years later, I am giving it a go once again.  125g this time.  Softies/Zoas and a few LPS.  Wish me luck.

(ps: holy crapola, the prices on the stuff has skyrocketed)

• Like 1

Welcome back, and good luck!   And yup! prices are crazy high!  Hopefully they will drop but to some degree I think they're here to stay.

I can remember an article by John Burleson (he was one of the first back in hte 80s to use Phillips 03 actinic bulbs to bring out colors in corals) writing about not letting his wife do laundry when they were expecting guests.  He figured out whenever laundry was done the perfumes used would make his corals close up.  And it's not jsut all the stuff people spray into the air that can cause problems, I have a client that spends weeks every year out of the country and alkalinity will always drop fast as soon as they leave. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah a fellow reefer that managed some tanks at a dental office reached out a few years ago.  The dental offices had installed those battery powered air fresheners in the waiting rooms and bam...all of them had dino.  He messaged me and low and behold, same issue. 

I noticed that C02 scrubbers have become quite common with newer homes being built tighter.  My buddy was fighting low PH for the longest time, he put a scrubber on his skimmer intake and his PH stabilized.  I was having similar issue, so I ran the skimmer air tube to an external source and my pH finally came back up as well. Weird how these issues pop up and a simple fix takes care of it while many spend many thousands of dollars putting a bandaid on the issue. 

Put in a hefty order with BRS so I should be on my way soon.  Have to visit RCA and a few others to get some rock/sand.  Is Prof still around?  Does he still sell dry rock?

No, haven't heard from Prof in a very long time sadly.  Yeah, in my experience dinos and nuisance algae in general has always been a secondary issue and just indicative of a shift in the equilibrium of an ecosystem which has some underlying cause.   Stumbled across this research showing how it's we innately want to add something to fix a problem, so it's easy for advertisers to sell a product to fix something.