Custom Prop tank(need some help!)

irishtexan

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about setting up a prop tank. I want it to be small because I won't have too much stuff in it. I am going to make it out of glass. The demensions that I was thinking are 6in high by 12in wide by 12in long. It comes out to about 3.7 gallons. Does anyone know where I can buy glass cut to the demensions? Also, I need help with the lighting situation.

Thanks!

texx

Oh ok. The main things that I want to prop. is zoos, xenia, and shrooms.

I don't want to make it out of acrylic because I don't want to worry about scratching it. So I won't be able to make that size prop tank? I really dont need anything bigger.

Also, lets just say I go with those demensions, what would be the best way to light the tank?

texx

That tank would probably get real hot, real quick unless you lit it with some t-5 or VHO's.

Scratching acrylic really isn't as easy as everyone fears... plus it's inexpensive, easily custom made, and carries no green tinge like normal glass.

I would go with a 10g as well. You can usually get them for $10 which is cheaper than you can build it (even if you get the materials for free if you factor in your time). When I had my frag tank running it was plumbed into the main tank to share water. It was a bigger scale (90g display, 50g sump, 110g refuge/prop tank), but the principle would be the same.