hitchhiker help

Carrie

Hello everyone,

I set up my tank last weekend with live rock. I added a few additional pieces today, but when I was about to dump the water I cleaned the rocks in, I realized there were about 20 tiny starfish of varying kinds. I put them in plastic bags containing the water I was about to discard (it was originally tank water, so it should have the same chemistry.) They are now floating to match temp. Is there any way to keep starfish that are very tiny alive in a cycling tank? Also, there was a hitchhiker that I am not sure if it is the dreaded aiptasia. The picture's not that great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for a wonderful site and resource!

Carrie

post-721-1224365229_thumb.jpg

Hello everyone,

I set up my tank last weekend with live rock. I added a few additional pieces today, but when I was about to dump the water I cleaned the rocks in, I realized there were about 20 tiny starfish of varying kinds. I put them in plastic bags containing the water I was about to discard (it was originally tank water, so it should have the same chemistry.) They are now floating to match temp. Is there any way to keep starfish that are very tiny alive in a cycling tank? Also, there was a hitchhiker that I am not sure if it is the dreaded aiptasia. The picture's not that great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for a wonderful site and resource!

Carrie

Not sure about your starfish, but the pic is definitely aiptasia. Pickup a pepper shrimp or two and let the shrimp eat the aiptasia. It might take them a while to find the aiptasia, but they'll take care of it.

I do not know if your star fish are going to make it through a cycling tank, but it is possible, depending on how bad the spikes are. I do have to agree though that it is most certainly aptaisia in your picture. I think they are also called rock anemones, but they are not something you want in your tank. Peppermint shrimp is the only thing i can think of that eat them, but i have also seen several chemicals that will take care of them. However, as with anything chemical, they will probably effect your other inhabitants. You will also not want to add livestock to a cycling tank.

Edited by TJ Stephens