Possible Mushroom problem/propogating...

reefman

I have a new (second) tank I got a couple of weeks ago. Now that things have settled out, it looks like I'm soon to have a mushroom problem. A local shop owner has said I could trade them for other stock, so the question has two parts: How can I transplant them without removing the rocks they are on, and how can you control them? Also, I assume they will compete with the corals? Can they sting them? These are not Ricordia's, just the regular purple and blue ones. I have one that the stalk has to be several inches thick, and one rock that has over 35 on it. I have them scattered all through the tank. I might decide to give some away, but would like to try to transplant a lot of them so I could use the "trade" to re-stock the tank with fish over time. In the process of the tank I moved I lost 6 out of 7 of the fish. Any ideas?

Stephen

you may simply cut them from the rock with a razor blade and them remount them on rubble, either by securing them loosely with a rubber band or catching them between some rubble in a low flow area. they will probably grow onto the rubble within a week. sometimes superglue gel will work but the shrooms will slime a lot and make glueing difficult. if you do this outside of the tank and wipe the slime off and dry the rock - apply glue to the shroom and the rock - and allow to dry before returning to the tank it will work half of the time.

it is tough to control the mushrooms without isolating them on a rock that is seperate from the others. they may grow back from tissue left after they are cut away from the rock. if you dont want them to grow back them scrub the tissue off as best you can. good luck

I would consider it, but here are some of the other things I'm thinking about. The rock with about 40 shroons on it, also has some zoo's that are getting crowded out by the zoo's, and what I think is a polyp of candy cane coral on it. I do have numerous other rocks with shroons on them. The other consideration is most of these rocks with shroons have a lot of coraline on them. Does your LR have coraline? Also, you said you "made 50lb". Does that mean you just have finished curing it, or is it synthetic?

Stephen

the rock I made is straight crushed oystershell/sand/portland cement.

just started curing it (bout 5 more weeks)

so no corraline growth....only thing I can actually offer is I could give up 3x the rock you are wanting to get rid of. so it would be fresh, with no corraline, but you would have more.

no biggy, I just made more than I can use, so I wanted to find a use for it.

I might take your offer up on some of the rock, although I've got about 200 lbs in the corner tank (92G), and over 100 lbs in the wave tank (90G). Gosh, in about 5 weeks no telling what those shroons are going to be doing. Have any frags you want to part with?

Let's do this, if you have any frags (now or later) put me at the top of the list. If you have a container with some rock or rubble, let's hook up and you can come over and get some of the shroons. On this thread they say you can cut the tops off, put them in with rock, and they'll re-attach. It's not a long term solution for me, but these guys look like they are getting bigger and spreading on a daily basis. I need to do something soon.

It's weird, some things I can kill off quicker than a New York minute. Other things, like shroons, Xenia, and this one Anemone I have grow like crazy.

My email address is [email protected]. If you want some, let's try to do this over the holiday weekend.

Stephen