luminace reflector - finally finished

hobogato

no, it isnt a typo, its my cheezy name for a reflector i made for my tank.

i have wanted to put luminarc or luminarc minis on my tank, but there wasnt enough space. after studying a luminarc mini, i came up with this modified reflector that is 2 inches narrower, but the normal 14.5 inches long - it just so happens that will fit perfectly over my tank. one down and two more to assemble, then i will replace one spider reflector with one of these and take a quick pic to compare its output to the other spider reflectors in the tank.

i am making them out of the solar tube material that they had for sale at lowe's. it comes out to about $60 to make two.

ill keep ya posted

luminace.jpg

luminace2.jpg

the difference (now that i have all three in) is REALLY noticable.

brighter, more shimmer, more color in the corals and the color of the light is better. im running 14k coralvue bulbs in those reflectors and the color doesnt seem quite as blue. also, i turned on the 10k DEs for a minute to see if the tank looked better with them on as well, and the corals didnt seem to wash out in color as much as they used to, so the 2 DE fixtures dont completely overpower the SE fixtures any more.

ok, so i finally finished this lighting rework project. here's a recap - i made luminark type reflectors for my 3 single end 250 watt mh lights, i made replacement reflectors (didnt change style) for my DE 250 watt pendants, and i made brackets so my PC actinics hang just above the water level but can easily be hoisted for access to the tank.

here are a few pics.

tank with all lights on before i started - 8 @ 65 watt PC true actinic, 2 @ 65 watt PC 50/50, 3 @ 250 watt SE CV 14k with spider reflectors and 2 @ 250 watt DE CV Reeflux 10k standard pendants

2006_062.jpg

tank with all lights on now - 8 @ 65 watt PC true actinic, no PC 50/50, 3 @ 250 watt SE CV with new reflectors and 2 @ 250 watt DE CV Reeflux 12k (new bulbs) with new reflectors in pendants - it doesnt really look this blue in person.

newtanklights.jpg

pendant with old reflector

oldDE.jpg

pendant with new reflector

newDE.jpg

anyone want these? you can have em just pm me, they are the old DE reflectors - nothing wrong with them (well, one of them has been straightened out and rebent, so it isnt perfect)

freebies.jpg

So... I don't think the Lowe's around here carries it as I looked for about 1 1/2 hours and couldn't even find an employee who knew ANYTHING about it. Another really fun fact is that the Lowe's computer system cannot search items by name.

Gabe there is a good chance I'll be soliciting your help for one of these dontknow.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to help as well, John, just for possible future experience. I'm not normally a complete klutz on DIY either, and years ago in my old SCM days I made a complete upper body set of stainless steel plate armor ( fought in it for almost two years).

Your not far away so let me know.

Stephen