Invasive algae

jonnyinaustin

The post title is misleading. I thought you wanted to buy invasive algae, but I think you're looking for a fish to eat what you already have. I can't tell what kind of algae it is from your picture. Maybe Caulerpa Prolifera? As far as I know, there is no fish that will eradicate it from your aquarium. A rabbitfish may keep it trimmed, but they won't destroy the root structure. Some urchins have been known to eat it as well. It's probably easier to get rid of the rock. If you're set on keeping the rock, then you can manually remove it by plucking it out. This type of algae has roots that attaches itself to the rock and any remaining roots could grow a new plant. 

No problem. You should post some more details about your aquarium. What size tank is it? Smaller aquariums have few options when it comes to fish. There was a rabbitfish in the classifieds, but it looks like it was sold. I'd like to get an order in to LiveAquaria soon and you can jump on to save shipping if there's something you want. 

My opinion

As far as what will consume it. A foxface will eat some, but you need a 75g or bigger tank for them to be happy and behave and they are a bit pricey.  Your best bet is a long spine urchin. They will eat stuff down to bare rock. They can be a pest because of this.

No problem. You should post some more details about your aquarium. What size tank is it? Smaller aquariums have few options when it comes to fish. There was a rabbitfish in the classifieds, but it looks like it was sold. I'd like to get an order in to LiveAquaria soon and you can jump on to save shipping if there's something you want. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all you helpful ideas on getting rid of this algae. I think a foxface is needed to keep this under control. I have included a few recent pics of my 120 reef. This tank is now just two months old. I think I will post my design and build pics.
f35b74d2694dfba5c8fdf670a1149120.jpgu263a3dabef4eeaa9381452af5af38ae1.jpg

I definitely would like to get in on the liveaquaria purchase with you! Keep me posted. Thanks.

I definitely would like to get in on the liveaquaria purchase with you! Keep me posted. Thanks.

I love the cleaner wrasse you have. Any problem acclimating him? Next one on DD is coming home!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Nice tank! 

Looks more like Calurpa cupressoides or C. urvilliana.  Manual removal is probably the only way to deal with it.  Calurpa has it own special toxin so most herbivores avoid it.  To help with manual removal you can get a 1/4" stainless steel straw and stick it in a larger diameter siphon hose using rubberbands wound around one end as a gasket to cut it up and siphon it out at the same time.  Be careful about letting it spread around.   Be very carefull about dropping your phosphates too low, PO4 deficiency has been shown harm the coral/algae simbiosis.  I would keep it between .05 and .1 mg/l.  (I would definitly get a couple urchins though, unlike other herbivores they scout a rock clean of the "holdfast" algae uses which slows it's growth down considerable, Tuxedos are my preferred choice.)

This may be presumptious on my part but I have the impression you're fairly new to reef keeping.  There's been a TON of research in recent years exploding many of the assumptions about keeping reefs and we're learning a lot more about the different roles of Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC) and microbial processes.  Here's two good videos I would recommend (Thank you Paula for the link to Rohwer's video!)

And if you're wanting to read the research on PO4 deficiency here's 3 links:

Nutrient enrichment can increase the susceptibility of reef corals to bleaching:
http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/files/file/Nutrient enrichment.pdf

Ultrastructural Biomarkers in Symbiotic Algae Reflect the Availability of Dissolved Inorganic Nutrients and Particulate Food to the Reef Coral Holobiont:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2015.00103/full

Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X17301601?via%3Dihub

Keeping your nutrient levels down will help as well. Do you have a fuge setup?

Yes I do. I try not to keep a much of any level of Nutrients in my tank. The inhabitants of my tank design are being kept for their specific purposes. To maintain the care and Cleanliness of my reef 

2a9e6290c661763cabede5c94f6a6a77.jpg

Nice tank! 
Looks more like Calurpa cupressoides or C. urvilliana.  Manual removal is probably the only way to deal with it.  Calurpa has it own special toxin so most herbivores avoid it.  To help with manual removal you can get a 1/4" stainless steel straw and stick it in a larger diameter siphon hose using rubberbands wound around one end as a gasket to cut it up and siphon it out at the same time.  Be careful about letting it spread around.   Be very carefull about dropping your phosphates too low, PO4 deficiency has been shown harm the coral/algae simbiosis.  I would keep it between .05 and .1 mg/l.  (I would definitly get a couple urchins though, unlike other herbivores they scout a rock clean of the "holdfast" algae uses which slows it's growth down considerable, Tuxedos are my preferred choice.)
This may be presumptious on my part but I have the impression you're fairly new to reef keeping.  There's been a TON of research in recent years exploding many of the assumptions about keeping reefs and we're learning a lot more about the different roles of Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC) and microbial processes.  Here's two good videos I would recommend (Thank you Paula for the link to Rohwer's video!)
[/url]  

And if you're wanting to read the research on PO4 deficiency here's 3 links:
Nutrient enrichment can increase the susceptibility of reef corals to bleaching:
http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/files/file/Nutrient enrichment.pdf
Ultrastructural Biomarkers in Symbiotic Algae Reflect the Availability of Dissolved Inorganic Nutrients and Particulate Food to the Reef Coral Holobiont:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2015.00103/full
Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X17301601?via%3Dihub

I’ve been in recovery for about 30 years now. Thanks for all the updated info you sent me. I will definitely take time to review this.

Archived