An exciting evening and a request....

Paula

Just as I was leaving work this afternoon, I happened to look over by the tank and noticed there was a dark patch at the base of the stand. Sure enough, there was a good sized wet spot on the carpet and I discovered one of the seams between the side and the back of the aquarium was leaking.

I raced home where I had a couple of smaller spare aquariums. I grabbed a 45 gallon with a stand and a 30 and raced back to the office. I was able to get all the livestock, fish, corals etc into the 45 and two pumps providing circulation and a heater keeping things on temp. They should be fine tonight.

Luckily, I don't have any appointments tomorrow so I can get everything back up hopefully. I'll swing by Petco and pick up a bare 75 gallon tomorrow when they open. 

Here's where I could use some help. I'll need to drill the tank and I'm fine with picking up a glass bit. What I don't have is an overflow I want to use. On the old aquarium (and this will be the last time I buy a used aquarium that I don't know the history of), I had installed a coast to coast and was running a bean animal overflow. The C2C really took up way too much room and the only reason I felt it was necessary was the tank had already been drilled with a hole at each end and one in the middle.

Does anyone know whether any of the LFSs might carry an acrylic silicone in place internal overflow? If not, would anyone have one in their pile of stuff that's not being used they'd be willing to sell? 

Thanks in advance,

Paula

I have a 4 glass holes overflows left over from my old build that are the standard 700 gph.

http://www.glass-holes.com/700-gph-Overflow-Box-Complete-KitBlemished-700blemkit.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So if I were doing something like a Herbie overflow, I'd use two of these boxes; one for the siphon and one for the emergency overflow?

I do have the acrylic that I used to make the C2C. I may try cutting it down to maybe 10 inches wide to accommodate both drains in the same box.

If that doesn't work out, maybe I could pick up yours on Monday?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So if I were doing something like a Herbie overflow, I'd use two of these boxes; one for the siphon and one for the emergency overflow?

I do have the acrylic that I used to make the C2C. I may try cutting it down to maybe 10 inches wide to accommodate both drains in the same box.

If that doesn't work out, maybe I could pick up yours on Monday?

I think herbie has to be both drains inside the same box. These are designed for separate drains.

Up to you. I was selling them for $40 each.

I think herbie has to be both drains inside the same box. These are designed for separate drains.

Up to you. I was selling them for $40 each.

That's what I was thinking. I really want the emergency overflow since this aquarium is in my office. I'll let you know if I don't figure anything else out by Monday. I appreciate the offer.

Cheers,

Paula

So just a bit of update and a huge thanks to Juiceman and Ty.

Picked up a new 75 Gallon from PetSmart this morning. Picked up a couple of nice Glass-holes overflow weirs from Juiceman, headed over to Ty's to pick up the club diamond hole saws (and man is that 210 of Ty's a sweet setup. I wonder if I could convince Phaedra to turn our dining room into a fish room!

Lots of running around collecting plumbing, paint, etc. Then finally home to drill the tank. I started with drilling the return opening. I did a practice run on the old tank and then moved onto the new one. Before I did I switched bits thinking the other one that was the same size might be a tad sharper and faster. If was definitely faster but I was dismayed to discover it was also just a skosh smaller. Enter the trusty Dremel tool and an emery bit. Slow, but about 45 minutes of careful grinding and the bulkhead fit perfectly. I then moved onto the larger holes for the weirs. Once I had the groove going they went fast with no chipping or loss of life.

I even had time to get the first coat of paint on the back. The fish are all doing fine in their temporary 45 gallon home. With any luck they'll all be back in their new and improved 75 gallon by tomorrow afternoon.

While the week before Christmas was not really when I would have chosen to do this, I'm happy to get some improvements done. The old tank was just that. Old and scratched up. The holes had been previously drilled and I had an overly large C2C overflow that took up a huge amount of space. The return plumbing came over the top of the tank and was unsightly and would have made fitting a good screen almost impossible.

All those problems will now be solved.

Thanks to everyone for advice and support.

Cheers,

Paula

Totally amazing. I am impressed.
Thanks! It was about 8:30 last night before I had everybody back in the new tank. Then this morning getting the office cleaned up so I can have clients Monday morning. (My tank is in my office). Thursday evening until Saturday night was pretty exhausting but ultimately I think the tank is better. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Cheers,

Paula

Archived