55g sps in BeeCave

FishShrink

43 minutes ago, FishShrink said:

Sascha, I'm finding the cube to be little more difficult that I was expecting.

I changed the design a little to try and open it up and give more room for growth. Also tried to incorporate a gradual slope to help with coral shading. 

The plan from here would be to build out an arm on the right side of the left island extending behind the right island. I will probably still cut down the right island but haven't done that yet. 

Thoughts? 

The dimensions of that tank something like 23x23x24? It's a difficult tank to aquascape for both fish and sps corals. You need open water for fish to swim and sps corals take up space as they grow. It's good practice to put the rocks in before sand. It helps stabilize the structure and gives it a more natural look. Some people use PVC or light diffuser, but I simply place them on the glass. Placing the rocks directly on the glass makes it easier to slide around if you change your mind later. IMO you shouldn't stack the rocks any higher than 18". The distance between the top of the live rock structure and the water level will give you room for circulation and coral growth. If you stack the rocks up to 20" then you'll only have 4" of coral growth before they run out of water. If you want to have larger colonies or put branching species, like stags or digis, on top of the structure, then leave more room for those. I have the best results keeping branching corals, like stags and acros, higher than plating/encrusting corals. You'll want at least enough room on the sides for a magnet cleaner. The beauty of a cube tank is that every side is the display view and I would leave a little room to add corals to every side that you want to view. 

I think cubes lend well to U shaped aquascaping, as well as, old school sloping walls and center structures. I don't want to spam your build with pictures, but I'll include some links to give you ideas. Here is one example of a U shaped structure. Here's an old school look and another one I like. I like what you've created so far. Maybe drill a hole into the big piece and add a shelf or downward sloping branch would look pretty good. Here's a link on how to drill live rock if you want to go that route. I have a drill bit and some small pieces of fiberglass rod that you can borrow if you need them. 

To make the ledge you can drill whole and put a acrylic rod to support it then epoxy it. I made a shelf in my tank by doing the acrylic rod worked very well

I really like the rocks cape plans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/14/2017 at 1:59 PM, FishShrink said:

BRS forever! 

It took me a quite a while to decide about the bulbs. I ended up going with 2 ati blue+. I want the growth and the glow. If it is too blue I will increase the whites on the LEDs. 

Sounds good. Looking forward to see how the colors look. Rockscape looks great IMO. Just what was mentioned before...trying to stack rocks and prevent shadowing can be a chore. 

Update: Water cleared up right nice. Skimmer is pulling out junk. Put a small hunk of fish in to rot and help the cycle along. Made a couple of frag racks with extra bits laying around. They will be ready to hold some frags from the swap coming up. Wish I had another few weeks to let the tank settle in before the swap but I'm biting at the bits to get something in there. 

I also ordered a travel frag carrier. Supposed to be FAA approved for carry on. Pretty cool! http://buildinganobsession.com/products/personal-sized-frag-transport

IMG_3188.JPG

IMG_3189.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2018 at 12:11 PM, FarmerTy said:

Heck yeah! Looking good already! I see you grabbed one of those cool green with bright blue polyp caps too! It is the nicest one I've ever had in the tank.

Yes I did! I love that one! 

Archived