Lighting needs, options, and opinions

Sissy36

So my light took a swim last night. Fortunately everything is ok, from what I can tell so far. It was a 30" Build My LED. It's kind of a blessing in disguise since I can't find a mount or dimmer for the silly thing. Even with the company. I have a 20g long with mixed Sps and Lps. No acros but I may want to try my hand at it down the road. I will be investing in an Apex, but I'm having trouble saving because, well, things like this keep happening. I will need some sort of mount attached to the tank or a free standing stand preferably.

I've been researching and I've noticed all lighting has it's own pros and cons but I can't figure out what I need specifically. I've studied the different lighting and pars but I'm still confused. There are so many options! I've also noticed many people use 2 or more kinds of lighting to get all that's needed. For example Led and MH. I'm ready to invest in some really great lighting now. Dose anyone have advise and/or recommendations? (Or explanations) Thanks!

Sent from Sissy's phone

Having run MH, T5, and budget LEDs, I'm a big fan of running LED with T5 supplemental lighting. That being said, for a 20g, I'd just buy an Ocean Revive T247B fixture with the included legs, throw it over my tank, and be done with it. They are super cheap and what I use on my tank so it can definitely support SPS growth... even on a 29" tall tank.

Having run MH, T5, budget LEDs, and top of the line LEDs I would have to agree with Ty on the Ocean Revive T247B (even though I prefer not to have any UV/Violet leds). If it helps it doesn't matter what you get and the settings you use there will be animals that won't like it. Also keep in mind coloration in corals is a very complex subject and while spectrum does have measurable effects it has more to do with intensity, nutrients and water parameters. Also keep in mind the terms "SPS", "LPS" and "Softies" are just colloquial terms and don't have any relevance regarding husbandry.

I have run T5, PC (Yes PC), and budget LEDs. I agree with Ty. I also run the Ocean Revive lights and they've done everything that I've asked them to do without any problems. The LED fixtures currently on the market run cooler than MH and T5, they'll provide enough PAR to keep anything that you want, and you don't need a controller to run them.

Sweet! Thanks. I looked end up and they seem easy to use. Thanks for helping to explain things to me. I've really learned a lot from everyone. It's good to know all that info.

I read the requirements for corals and they give description like low to moderate light and flow and such. I understand all that but I really worry about bleaching certain corals since my tank is shallow. How flexable are those guidelines? I've noticed some resources conflict with suggestions too.

Sent from Sissy's phone

Lightning is complicated. It means something different to everybody. One person thinks he's blasting his corals with Marineland LED's and another using 250 MH thinks he's running moderate because his friend is using 400 MH. Not only that, but different lighting methods vary in length or intensity but both might qualify as high light. Someone using MH might only be at full intensity for 4 hours while someone using LED's run full intensity for 8 hours.

So what does it mean? Acropora do well in 150+ PAR, which is high light to me. If you put it in moderate light (100 PAR), it probably won't die, but it won't color properly or may appear faded. If you take a moderate light coral and put it in high light, then nothing much will happen. If you take a low light coal and put it in high light or a high light coral in low light then it will bleach and die. These opinions are assuming you light adjust properly.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Lightning is complicated. It means something different to everybody. One person thinks he's blasting his corals with Marineland LED's and another using 250 MH thinks he's running moderate because his friend is using 400 MH. Not only that, but different lighting methods vary in length or intensity but both might qualify as high light. Someone using MH might only be at full intensity for 4 hours while someone using LED's run full intensity for 8 hours.

So what does it mean? Acropora do well in 150+ PAR, which is high light to me. If you put it in moderate light (100 PAR), it probably won't die, but it won't color properly or may appear faded. If you take a moderate light coral and put it in high light, then nothing much will happen. If you take a low light coal and put it in high light or a high light coral in low light then it will bleach and die. These opinions are assuming you light adjust properly.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Awesome explanation! That's what I needed. I'm going to print that out and keep it next to my tank lol! There is so much out there but it seems it's never in one place. Thank you!

Sent from Sissy's phone

Ordered my light! Get it Tuesday. Will everything be ok for that long with a little light from a window? Nothing is opening. What can I use instead?

Sent from Sissy's phone

I got one you can borrow if you'd like until yours gets here Sissy.

Ordered my light! Get it Tuesday. Will everything be ok for that long with a little light from a window? Nothing is opening. What can I use instead?

Sent from Sissy's phone

I got one you can borrow if you'd like until yours gets here Sissy.
That would be awesome, thanks so much!

Sent from Sissy's phone

very cool hope you got your light, all very good advice, i have a little of mix mostly do to the cost when i can ill upgrade, i wanted to stay away fm MH or anything tube wise above a t5 for two reasons the Heat an electric use, ive got a budget full spec or blk box led, and a 50" quad row blue an 10k, and a 24" T5 little 2 bulb all do one or more things well and dont get too hot, im still tuning stuff in but forsure its less electricity an much cooler

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Archived