Sissy's 20 gal L.... for Noah

Sissy36

Indeed it has! I'm finally inspired.. look what I did!!!

3be909d21ca470a46cd63981c584facd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I love it, think it looks awesome. To answer your question aquascaping anything is a pain in the butt lol big or small! I think we all have this vision in our head and get frustrated when the pieces don't fit together like we want them to (well at least I do) then you stand there saying why doesn't this fit, it looks like it should fit like a glove!!!!!! I've actually changed my aquascape like 5 times in my 180. I think I have a problem and need help lol 5th times the charm, I'm finally content with it (well for now) haha
I feel better now lol. The worst part was when I was finally happy my husband comes home and says "is *that* what you want?" I had a momentary flash of drowning him in the tank. But he must seen it on my face because he quickly took it back then ducked away out the back door.

Sent from Sissy's phone she's fed up with

Haha thats hilarious!!!! My situation is more like this

Hey how does this look?

Bf: looks ok, still looks like piles and clumps of rock

Me: you kidding me I just spent 5 hrs on this

Him: well don't ask my opinion then

Me: ? Lol

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed it has! I'm finally inspired.. look what I did!!!

3be909d21ca470a46cd63981c584facd.jpg

I love it, think it looks awesome. To answer your question aquascaping anything is a pain in the butt lol big or small! I think we all have this vision in our head and get frustrated when the pieces don't fit together like we want them to (well at least I do) then you stand there saying why doesn't this fit, it looks like it should fit like a glove!!!!!! I've actually changed my aquascape like 5 times in my 180. I think I have a problem and need help lol 5th times the charm, I'm finally content with it (well for now) haha
I feel better now lol. The worst part was when I was finally happy my husband comes home and says "is *that* what you want?" I had a momentary flash of drowning him in the tank. But he must seen it on my face because he quickly took it back then ducked away out the back door.

Haha thats hilarious!!!! My situation is more like this

Hey how does this look?

Bf: looks ok, still looks like piles and clumps of rock

Me: you kidding me I just spent 5 hrs on this

Him: well don't ask my opinion then

Me: Lol

I've definitely had that conversation about one thing or another. On multiple occasions. I don't laugh though. After 15yrs you get worn down a bit. But I love him...still

[emoji6]

That is so generous of you! I really appreciate the help and support. Noah was so upset when I broke down my 90gal. Like you said, I want to encourage him, plus I love the hobby as well .

My tank will have been cycled for a month and a half at that point. Will that be long enough to add coral? I haven't added the clowns yet either. I'm so scared. I currently have a couple of hermits I feed algea tabs. I just don't want to ruin this one. Let me know what you (or anyone else reading) think.

Thank you again!

I think you will get a lot of opinions on the right time to add coral or fish. Has your tank cycled yet (had an algae bloom)? As long as your water parameters are ok and not having big swings I think you will be fine. The corals I have are hearty and are good to start with. If you they die, they didn't cost you anything. As for the Clowns you should go ahead and get them. They will help with the processing of the tank. Issues are always manageable with time and effort. When I started this hobby I was in a 10g tank, everything I kept strived, water changes were easy because it was such a small volume. I think you should look forward to adding livestock and not worry about it. Start with inexpensive items so you don't get burned out because of the expense. My only suggestion is to not add a lot to the tank at once, try to collect a piece at a time until you get a hang of it. Coral will not have much of an impact on water quality but adding several fish at once can. They all eat and they all poop. I would also suggest some kind of shrimp to help with cleaning the tank and consuming dietrius and un-eaten food.

Looking at the image you provided I do not see a protein skimmer or a water top off. Those two items can be a game changer. Evaporation can be your biggest enemy. Im pretty sure you can find a small skimmer for your tank for not a lot of $

You can't see in the picture I posted last but I got a skimmer and ATO! Now I need a dimmer...and fish. My parameters have been awesome but no algea bloom. And I think it would be a real luxury to have an auto dosing setup like the one at C4 too. Not sure of you made it to that

That is so generous of you! I really appreciate the help and support. Noah was so upset when I broke down my 90gal. Like you said, I want to encourage him, plus I love the hobby as well .

My tank will have been cycled for a month and a half at that point. Will that be long enough to add coral? I haven't added the clowns yet either. I'm so scared. I currently have a couple of hermits I feed algea tabs. I just don't want to ruin this one. Let me know what you (or anyone else reading) think.

Thank you again!

I think you will get a lot of opinions on the right time to add coral or fish. Has your tank cycled yet (had an algae bloom)? As long as your water parameters are ok and not having big swings I think you will be fine. The corals I have are hearty and are good to start with. If you they die, they didn't cost you anything. As for the Clowns you should go ahead and get them. They will help with the processing of the tank. Issues are always manageable with time and effort. When I started this hobby I was in a 10g tank, everything I kept strived, water changes were easy because it was such a small volume. I think you should look forward to adding livestock and not worry about it. Start with inexpensive items so you don't get burned out because of the expense. My only suggestion is to not add a lot to the tank at once, try to collect a piece at a time until you get a hang of it. Coral will not have much of an impact on water quality but adding several fish at once can. They all eat and they all poop. I would also suggest some kind of shrimp to help with cleaning the tank and consuming dietrius and un-eaten food.

Looking at the image you provided I do not see a protein skimmer or a water top off. Those two items can be a game changer. Evaporation can be your biggest enemy. Im pretty sure you can find a small skimmer for your tank for not a lot of $

You can't see in the picture I posted last but I got a skimmer and ATO! Now I need a dimmer...and fish. My parameters have been awesome but no algea bloom. And I think it would be a real luxury to have an auto dosing setup like the one at C4 too. Not sure of you made it to that

Looks good. You would definitely like having the dosing set up. I unfortunately couldn't make it to C4 this year. Sounds like it was a great time.

Thank you again!

Looks good. You would definitely like having the dosing set up. I unfortunately couldn't make it to C4 this year. Sounds like it was a great time.

It was cool seeing all the corals. They are kicking around the idea of a springtime frag swap :)

So I went to the LFS today to pick up Krusty and Sideshow Bob (clown fish). Instead I came out with a few parts to build a sump. I'm going build a sump! I keep saying I'm going to do it "right" this time. (i understand there are many ways to succeed :) I feel good about this. I'm broke, but I feel good :) Now to search videos and threads. Any suggestions to get me started? I'm going to use a 10gal I have extra and I picked up a pump and some tubing. I also have a left over foam thingy from my old HOB filter. It fits perfectly in the 10g, a little snug actually so it will stay.

And oh! My Husband brought home a puppy. Ummm hmmmm. We're even now

I can donate an alien eye chalice when you are ready smile.png

Some people correlate softies to those inflatable sale tube men thingys... all flowwy. This gif is how they act w/ acro's. Poor stan the acro.

post-1733-0-79405800-1472709077.gif

Depends on the softy. Some are fairly wussy but many are quite aggressive. My scrambled egg Zoas are bumping up against my Chips Acro, and they seem to be at a fairly even battle. Neither appears to be gaining ground. However with my Setosa and some Ricordea Florida, the Ricordea have killed the tissue where the 2 met, but it's unable to get past the front gates. Nothing beats some of the LPS when the send out sweeper tentacles. Those do a lot of damage.

Sissy - you may consider getting an AI Prime for that tank. That was what I put on my 14G cube and I love it. It's a little pricey but the spectrum control and scheduling you get is pretty nice.

I also have a frag of xenia you can have. Many reefers don't like them because they can grow very fast and overtake your other corals but I think if you isolate it like I've done in my tank it won't have a chance at doing that quickly. Mine are on the sand bed so they cannot get to any of my live rock to attach to very easily. I've also got a duncan colony between it and the sand bed to keep it from getting there, they seem to be "playing nicely" together. Let me know if you're interested and I can arrange to bring it to work (in downtown) where you can meet me to pick it up.

older AI Sol's sometimes get posted on the cheaper end too.. a few generations behind, but good lights! I also have paly's and xenia too if you want... altho i feel bad spreading these *lol*

Y'all are awesome! I'm definitely interested in the corals! Thanks so much!

The light I got is a Build My Light, I think? Or build my reef? I'll confirm later. It needs a timer and doesn't have spectrum control which bumms me out. I'll start looking for your suggestion.

I need to search in my coral books about what flow & light they all need. I want to build a sump too. I have the tank and a return pump but need the part that goes in the aquarium. (Sorry I don't know the name) I need to search videos for examples of how to set it up. And save up some moolah. If Y'all think I'll be ok adding life with out the sump set up yet let me know. I just don't know how adding one will affect it. I have a filter, skimmer, and it's cycled but I worry.

Y'all are awesome! I'm definitely interested in the corals! Thanks so much!

The light I got is a Build My Light, I think? Or build my reef? I'll confirm later. It needs a timer and doesn't have spectrum control which bumms me out. I'll start looking for your suggestion.

I need to search in my coral books about what flow & light they all need. I want to build a sump too. I have the tank and a return pump but need the part that goes in the aquarium. (Sorry I don't know the name) I need to search videos for examples of how to set it all up. And save up some moolah. If Y'all think I'll be ok adding life with out the sump set up yet let me know. I just don't know how adding one will affect it. I have a filter, skimmer, and it's cycled but I worry.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to be more diligent as to my updates. So, here's what's up. Progress has been made! I got a stand and a beautiful sump this weekend, separate purchases. I'll come back to that. Did all the regular maintenance and my tank looks amazing! Considering there is no fish or coral.

I was planning on building my own sump with a 10g I have on hand. But, at the advice of some wonderful people I decided to go bigger, build a 20g. Got the stand that will accommodate. It's nice, custom built. I like it. Then the more references I read and research I did I got greedy. I found a beautiful Zen 30g sump on CL. I had to make minor modifications to the stand and now I have to improvise a bit. Details later. Anyway, it squeezed in there. It was perfect. The sump puts my display to shame!

So here's the deal.. my old tank and stand need to go! They're posted here on arc. So now all I need to do is move my old tank somewhere out of the way (yeah right!) stain the concrete floors (yup, by myself), move my stand and sump where the old tank is now, relocate my up and running display tank (any suggestions on how?). Then of course set it all up let it run for a week or two. I'm still deciding how I want my system to operate and such. Soooo many options!

I'll get there. I can do it! (With help! [emoji12] )

I would be happy to donate a couple small frags to the tank when your ready. I think its great you're pulling this together for your kid to support his interest and future. The only catch is I am in S. Austin, Oak Hill area. If it works out I will be traveling north the weekend of the 9/17 and could try to meet up with y'all to drop off the frags.

With the meeting this weekend I wanted to let you know I'm still interested in the coral but I'm not ready yet since I decided to set up a sump. And we have to stain our floors before I can do that. So now it's maturing...and waiting...

I will be at the meeting though [emoji1]

I am still interested in coral from you fine folks! Unfortunately not quite yet. I don't feel comfortable putting anything else in since I'm going to move it and set up the sump. Which I can't do until the floors get stained.

As regards the sump I think I'm going to go the biological route with a refugium and bio balls, I'll need a bigger skimmer and then go from there to see how it goes. Any suggestions as to what I may need in addition? I do love the idea of farmerTy's no water change way. I also have a UV filter from my 90. But that will kill the macro algea, won't it?

So the sump is a 30g. Since it's so much more water added to the system will it need to cycle again?

Still no pictures, sorry. The stand with the sump in it is in the walkway pushed up against the couch and I can't get a decent picture. It puts my display tank to shame though. I'll need a bigger stand later for more space, but it can wait for now.

I'm getting anxious! I'm ready to get this rolling...

And algea is under control [emoji5]

Got my Neptune DoS! Now for the Apex....

And I still have to stain the floors before I can set up my sump. I'm getting really anxious. I think I'd rather have my eyebrows waxed!

I went to the LFS yesterday to get the equipment for my sump. I decided to go chemical, if you will, with reactors, since I'm a bit more familiar with it. I came out with everything i needed, at the moment , and also a purple reef lobster. They are Noah's favorite. I know he'll out grow the tank but I'll cross that bridge when we get there. He claimed a little "cave" right in front of the glass so thats neat. Only problem is that the coral banded shrimp claimed it first... This should be interesting. Along the same lines we got watch one of 3 tiny hermits switch shells! They are adorable.

Since i put my frag in i keep thinking "i wonder how long before i convince my husband it's a good idea to upgrade?"

But in the meantime i cant wait to stock it and watch it grow and develop into a thriving (hopefully) tiny ecosystem I created! Think about that for a minute. We are atempting to recreating a perfectly balanced self sustaining ecosystem that exists in nature due to constant absolutely perfect conditions that maintain regardless of rain, sun, evaporation, season, even hurricanes! How cool is that?! Suddenly I feel very inadequate

Water water everywhere!

I put a bag with some phosgaurd in it into my hob filter last night. I didn't notice a little of the bag was hanging out the back. I was working on my tank tonight and put my hand down on the towel I was warned about. Soaked!!! After inspection I found the bag dripping from the back. I suddenly have motive to move the tank! The floor isn't ready and my old tank isn't even out, but here we go... My husband isn't home and this afternoon I suddenly became ill. Very ill. It's probably the Flu but Webmd thinks its Parkinson's or Anthrax inhalation. Yeah.

Anywho, I'm pretty sure i can move the new stand with the tank on it into place later so I'm going for it. I make all the preperations and drain 3/4ths of it, keeping the water of course. Then the worlds strongest 10yo helped me move the tank across the house and lift if up about 2 feet to get it on the stand. For a moment in the middle of lifting I saw the tank smash to smithereens on the floor. But we did it! It was hard for me, my kid is awesome! I put it all together again and everything seems to be doing OK. This also gave me a chance to plug everything into my new ups. And I labeled all the cords because I'm obsessive compulsive, I mean organized, yeah, that's it, we'll call it organized. Done and done.

In addition to moving the tank I pulled the entire 90gal and stand away from the wall into the middle of the living room to inspire my husband to help move it out. It'll be done soon now

[emoji12]

Now to stain...finally!

Look who came home with me! (And of course a starfish) 5f31a4d73416809f2fe97db0914820fb.jpg

U bought the harlequin or it was a hitchhiker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought it. I did make that sound like it was a hitchhiker. That would have been an awesome score!

Look who came home with me! (And of course a starfish) 5f31a4d73416809f2fe97db0914820fb.jpg

U bought the harlequin or it was a hitchhiker?

I bought it. I did make that sound like it was a hitchhiker. That would have been an awesome score!

U know they ONLY eat starfish? I got one to clean up all my asterina stars and now I have to buy it stars or it'll starve. [emoji37][emoji379]. Kinda ironic actually. Lol

I know, I think it's cool! Expensive but cool! I first learned of the harlequin shrimp a while back during a documentary and watched them tackle a starfish and thought it was the coolest thing ever. I didn't even have plans for a tank yet. Is it wrong to be so entertained by an animal being slowly eaten alive?

Archived