why are my corals weird :)

dieselndixie

So, let me elaborate....

Been reef keeping for around 2 yrs now...simple stuff only (softies, clowns, shrimp, etc)

Anyway....I am wondering why my zoas, and mushrooms all have long stalks on them....no sitting right on the rocks like most pics I see. Also, my xenia are elongated, but I fragged a piece for a buddy, and in his tank, its short and has the poms opening and closing rapidly (like i would have liked)

they all grow and reproduce fairly regularly...but just dont look like everyone elses.

what could it be?

24g nano

viper 70w halide clipon

upgraded pump to maxi (cant remember model, but the same one all the nano guys upgrade to)

koralion (or whatever that thing is called....i dont use it all the time, it seems to add too much flow)

IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3552.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg

all thoughts are appreciated!

thanks

Edited by dieselndixie

My softies used to do that too. I fixed the problem by replacing a few bulbs that had gotten old. If your bulbs are fine you might need more light or a different kind of bulb. What a guy at River City Aquatics told me was that the corals will elongate their stalks to get closer to the light. If it's just a few that are doing this you can also move them closer to the surface.

So, let me elaborate....

Been reef keeping for around 2 yrs now...simple stuff only (softies, clowns, shrimp, etc)

Anyway....I am wondering why my zoas, and mushrooms all have long stalks on them....no sitting right on the rocks like most pics I see. Also, my xenia are elongated, but I fragged a piece for a buddy, and in his tank, its short and has the poms opening and closing rapidly (like i would have liked)

they all grow and reproduce fairly regularly...but just dont look like everyone elses.

what could it be?

24g nano

viper 70w halide clipon

upgraded pump to maxi (cant remember model, but the same one all the nano guys upgrade to)

koralion (or whatever that thing is called....i dont use it all the time, it seems to add too much flow)

all thoughts are appreciated!

thanks

well, they did that before when I had the stock PC lighting...and now with the upgraded 70w halide 14k (about 5-6 months ago) they havent changed.....

and my buddies tank, with less lighting has the xenia from my tank looking awesome. he has less flow than me.

what about temp? could that be a factor?

Do you have an Auto-topoff? I was "fighting" this issue as well. I thought it was the light,temp, etc.. When I added an ATO it seemed to "calm" every thing down.

This is purely anecdotal, but I believe in ATOs anyway.

Really, it isn't a bad thing. If the corals still have color then your cool. sweet crab pic!

Do you have an Auto-topoff? I was "fighting" this issue as well. I thought it was the light,temp, etc.. When I added an ATO it seemed to "calm" every thing down.

This is purely anecdotal, but I believe in ATOs anyway.

Really, it isn't a bad thing. If the corals still have color then your cool. sweet crab pic!

do they make one for a nano? after adding the halides and taking the top off....i did get more frequent evaporation, and i have to add top off water every other day

• 2 weeks later...