Skimmers (Hang on versus sump)

seraraven

I'm getting ready to set up my 90 gallon bowfront saltwater tank and I purchased a Sky731 protein skimmer (with no directions, thanks Sky enterprises). In my excitement, I neglected to notice it is intended to be used as a sump skimmer. I had no plans to start a sump right off the bat. I'm wondering if I should return it or trade it for a hang on skimmer. Any suggestions?

This tank is going to be mostly fish with live rock. I have a deep love for Trigger's and Puffer's even with their compatibility with other things/corals/reef issues.

Thanks all!

That's where my line of thinking was headed as well. *le sigh* I suppose I can go ahead and start the build and get it cycling while I'm working on the sump.

Thanks Flux!

Definitely sump! Puffers and triggers are messy eaters and create a lot of waste. You'd get extra water volume to help dilute nutrients as well as be able to run the skimmer you have and reactors to help as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely go with a sump. Run a turf scrubber to keep the display looking sharp. Big fish, big food, big waste, big nutrient problem, big algae blooms. A sump will enable you to run a decent turf scrubber to keep algae out of the display

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived