Making Dry Rock ???

Neon Reefer

Wanting to go a different route with the rock in my tank. I have always used lots of live rock and the old method of stacking rock in the tank. Now I am wanting to go a different route and to use rock in the sump and go a minimal look in the display.

However I want to utilize columns for the look I want in the display and am looking into making my own. I have looked at a method and recipe for making the columns and was wanting feedback on the recipe ingredients on the overall long term health of the tank.

The recipe is:

1 part Portland white cement

1 part reef sand

1 part crushed coral

1 part rock salt

Directions:

1 mix the cement and aggregate with RO water to achieve an oatmeal consistency. Add the rock salt at end of mix just prior to going into the mold.

2 Allow the mix to dry overnight them remove from mold and let set for 3 days

3 Place green (uncured) rock into RO water with pump and change water every 2 days until pH reaches 7.5 and salinity count = 0.0 Note this may take a couple of weeks.

4 Now treat dry rock like any other and seed to grow live rock in saltwater bath as normal.

Note: As the rock salt dissolves in the fresh water bath it leaves holes in the rock for bacterial growth.

Question: Will the Portland cement cause any disruption in my pH or other water qualities over time.

Seen some really cool stuff made that way. I've also seen some of it start to break apart in as little as a couple years. My preference is to drill out rock (See KImP's videos) and use PVC but I imagine using the fiberglass additive to make concrete stronger would work just fine using the technique you've listed.

Seen some really cool stuff made that way. I've also seen some of it start to break apart in as little as a couple years. My preference is to drill out rock (See KImP's videos) and use PVC but I imagine using the fiberglass additive to make concrete stronger would work just fine using the technique you've listed.

I agree with Timfish. About 2 years ago making rock structures out of hydraulic cement was the newest craze on ARC. I've talked to three people in the last two months who tried it and all of them have experienced joints crumbling. I used Portland Cement back in 2003 to make some rock caves. They started to break down after about a year. On the second year I tried to remove the rock to catch a fish and the whole structure crumbled.

I would never use hydraulic cement again... Total waste.

That being said, I'm told the Marco rock motor (or at least what it really is) is solid. Might look into using it as a binder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it was a misquote but I would definitely not use nylon fibers. My experience has been nylon degrades in saltwater and will become very brittle. Fiberglass fibers should greatly extend the life of rock made this way but I have not tried it myself and do not have any solid experience if it will last 5, 10 or 20 years although I would expect it to last a long time.

And where does one acquire fiberglass strands?

Maybe it was a misquote but I would definitely not use nylon fibers. My experience has been nylon degrades in saltwater and will become very brittle. Fiberglass fibers should greatly extend the life of rock made this way but I have not tried it myself and do not have any solid experience if it will last 5, 10 or 20 years although I would expect it to last a long time.

Yes Thanks I did find it here right after your last post. It should arrive this week.

Already have assembled the

Type 1 cement

Dry reef sand

Crushed Coral

Crystal salt

6" Pipe

1" Pipe

and will start the process in about one week to make 3 each 2' columns and 3 each 1' columns

and will keep you all posted along the construction phase as well as the fresh water wet curing phase and finally the salt water curing into live rock. So far costs is about $100 and have enough material to make ~100# rock. With investment of another $40 to make another 100# if needed

Archived